#1 American Killer, ETO??? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree with you on that. The generation today takes everything for granted, I know I used to until I got sent to Iraq and now I am grateful for everything.

sad but true......

Kassel memorial for the fallen: both US 445th bomb group and the SturmFw pilots and the high cover on Bf 109G-6's

Attachments

• kasselmemorial.jpg
    kasselmemorial.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 645
DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
For some reason Erich I think you have something to do with this webpage....

Their mission was simple. Take off, climb to 1500 ft. Protect the jets. Land once the jets were safely away. They were forbidden to chase Allied planes.
http://home.att.net/~JV44/jv44wurger.htm

I find this hard to believe. From 1500 feet you could not protect the jets. Perhaps 1500 meters, but I would more expect something like 2500 meters.

=S=

Lunatic

Since you're all talking about German pilots, here's my favorite... well he's not really German he was Russian/Romanian... not the most kills but can you imagine... what a life!

=S=

Lunatic

Attachments

• youngest_fighterace.jpg
    youngest_fighterace.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 641
RG_Lunatic said:
For some reason Erich I think you have something to do with this webpage....

Their mission was simple. Take off, climb to 1500 ft. Protect the jets. Land once the jets were safely away. They were forbidden to chase Allied planes.
http://home.att.net/~JV44/jv44wurger.htm

I find this hard to believe. From 1500 feet you could not protect the jets. Perhaps 1500 meters, but I would more expect something like 2500 meters.

=S=

Lunatic

Let Erich explain it to you. He knows more about this stuff then any of us.

Quizz:

One of the deadliest "bull`s eye" in the ETO took place during the Allied landings in Italia.

German bombers attacked the US naval force landing troops and equipment with Henschel guided missiles. Several hits were scored. A large troop transport heavily laden with US soldiers got hit by one missile. The missile landed perfectly amidships, right overhead the crammed vessel. In a fraction of a second a frightful loss of life occured. A massacre. It was by far the biggest number of killed US soldiers in the briefest period of time: 1-2 seconds.

The view was so terrible hundreds of witnesses became either sick or psychiatric cases.

Date of the attack?
To what KG (Kampfgruppe) did the bombers belong?
How many GI´s died when the Hs missile landed on the vessel?

The event was so terrible, the government of the USA concealed it for several years to their people (so you can see not only Bolsheviks and nazis proceeded in such fashion). :)

good quiz Udet, and am not sure if this correct, but I do know that He 177's and Do 217's dropped the little things. Unit was KG 40

Erich

Hello Der Adler and Erich!

In fact, as Erich pointed out, Do217s from KG40 were responsible for the attack I am referring to.
Pending, we have the number of GIs dead on the transport ship. Anyone?

DerAdler: He111s indeed launched aerial torpedoes and also the V1.

I always thought it looked pretty neat period. I like the way the canopy was a glass shell and the way the wings looked. It just seemed graceful to me, even if it was not the greatest bomber ever built.

I always thought it looked pretty neat period. I like the way the canopy was a glass shell and the way the wings looked. It just seemed graceful to me, even if it was not the greatest bomber ever built.

It would have been a much better plane had Hitler and Georing not screwed it up by insisiting it be dive bomber capable. This requirement forced the incorporation of structural weight which was only useful for dive bombing, decreasing the payload, speed, armor, defensive weaponry, and fuel capacity options.

=S=

Lunatic

another hint of reality, another war memorial to the fallen from both sides.

July of 44, US bomber crews and Luftwaffe SturmFw pilots

Attachments

• denkmal3.jpg
    denkmal3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 509
gentlemen it is really tough still though. many US vets have come to grips with the loss of their friends in battle and have merged or have been asked by the German vets to come over and be part of the ceremonies. Very odd though that some Luftwaffe ace graves unless on private property have been disgraced by their own people. A stone with a name(s) or an old cross neglected or grass or ivy covering up someones passing some 60 years ago. time seems to forget too easily and so do humans. As my signature states 'those that one forgets are really forgotten'

Erich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back