100 Group RAF Bomber Command

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

marea

Airman
Sep 28, 2009
Does anyone have any information about US aircraft used by 100 Group of RAF Bomber Command, or indeed about 100 Group in general?:rolleyes:

Sorry. Wrong Group.
But to know more of the electronic warfare of the era google R. V. Jones.

100 Group used both B24 and B17 aircraft in fairly small numbers about 20 of each.
The B17's tended to operate as jammers carrying Mandrel and Carpet equipment and often had an H2S radar fitted where the chin turret was normally situated. They did keep their ventral turret unless it was needed for additional equipment such as the Airbourne Cigar.
The B24 carried similar equipment but was also able to carry Jostle another jammer that was a lot bigger and heavier than those carried on the B17.

Its interesting that the aircraft themselves were often second hand for instance the B17 aircraft included a B17C which was issued to 1699 flight and operated from RAF Oulton and some of the B24's were also hand me downs. This caused significant problems for the ground crew who had to contend with a variety of aircraft which were sometimes old and on which they had no experience.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's still available, but I have a rather good book covering all of the ECM aircraft used by 100 Group, RAF, from the Wellington, through the B17's and B24's, to the Beaufighter and other lesser used types.
Here are the details:-
'The Aircraft of 100 Group' [A Historical Guide for the Modeller] (hardback)
By Martin Streetly.
Publihed by Robert Hale Limited, Clerkenwell House, Clerkenwell Green, London EC1R 0HT.
Published 1984
ISBN 0 7090 1043 5
The book includes photographs of all of the major aircraft, together with drawings and diagrams of the ECM equipment, radar etc, and their installations in the various aircraft, as well as B&W tone profiles. The text describes each aircraft and squadron, along with the equipment and some operations.
Well worth a look if you can obtain a copy.
Terry.

See also "Instruments of Darkness" by Dr Alfred Price 2005 ISBN-1-85367-616-0 Greenhill Books.
This title is mainly concerned with the development of electronic warfare in WW2 but briefly describes the history of 100Group from its inception, ie Squadrons and aircraft making up the group and what role / electronic devices each used.

I agree with Airframes, if you can find a copy of Streetly's book, you will find the answers.

Juha

Thanks very much for all the information and links, they have proved very useful. I even found a new book on Amazon which I hadn't discovered during my extensive searching (don't know how I managed that!): 100 Group (Bomber Support): RAF Bomber Command in World War II (Aviation Heritage Trail) (Paperback) by Martin Bowman.

Thanks again :)

Thanks very much for all the information and links, they have proved very useful. I even found a new book on Amazon which I hadn't discovered during my extensive searching (don't know how I managed that!): 100 Group (Bomber Support): RAF Bomber Command in World War II (Aviation Heritage Trail) (Paperback) by Martin Bowman.

Thanks again :)

I have that book, its not bad but concentrates a lot on the airfields and the buildings that were on them, a bit like a Then and Now series book. It touches on but doesn't go into great detail about the tactics and the ebb and flow of the electronic war.
So be warned.

I have that book, its not bad but concentrates a lot on the airfields and the buildings that were on them, a bit like a Then and Now series book. It touches on but doesn't go into great detail about the tactics and the ebb and flow of the electronic war.
So be warned.

Does it have any photos of the aircraft or mention them in anyway?

Some but its limited and the book isn't that big, plus it doesn't go into any detail about the aircraft apart from what you pick up by looking at each section.

Your in the UK, if you wish send me a PM with your addresss so I can send you my copy in the post, return it when you have finished with it.

Here's a very brief example of some of the coverage of the B24 in the Martin Streetly book. Each aircraft type is featured with full views where available, along with profiles, squadron code and serial information and diagrams and photos of equipment etc. The attached are just some of the close-up pics of crews mentioned in the text for the B24. There are more pics of the aircraft, and the B17 has similar coverage. To date, as far as actual pics of the aircraft are concerned, this is the best book I have seen covering 100 Group and its aircraft.
Terry.

Attachments

• Can Jan 129.jpg
    Can Jan 129.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 567
  • Can Jan 133.jpg
    Can Jan 133.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 377
  • Can Jan 134.jpg
    Can Jan 134.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 376
There is also Bowman's and Cushing's Confounding The Reich he Operational History of 100 Group..., I have not had time to read it yet, but at least there are some pictures on B-17s and B-24s of the 100 Group.

Juha

Terry wish I could find that streetly book in the states with a faiar price it looks great. for an RAF group with the success it had you would think much more would have been published even the web-site dedicated to Nr 100 grp RAF is a bit miniscule.

though if we look at the LW NJG's there is practically nothing on the individual NJG's as unit histories.

Glider - thanks for the offer of the loan of your book, much appreciated, however I've just ordered a copy and also "Confounding the Reich" as suggested by Juha from Amazon.

I've downloaded a copy of Streetly's book which is perfect for what I need; I have a 1/72 Paragon conversion set for the B17 and B24 for100 Group but didn't have any references until now. All I need to finish the job is the Xtradecal markings for 100 Group which are out of production but I'm sure the spares box should be able to furnish some markings of sorts (!).

Terry wish I could find that streetly book in the states with a faiar price it looks great. for an RAF group with the success it had you would think much more would have been published even the web-site dedicated to Nr 100 grp RAF is a bit miniscule.

though if we look at the LW NJG's there is practically nothing on the individual NJG's as unit histories.

Erich, I was kindly sent a couple of links to where you can download this book. Not sure if I can post them on here so I'll PM you with them.

Erich, I was about to suggest I try to find a copy for you, but perhaps our friend could pass on the details of where and how to download it? If not, I'll willingly loan you my copy - just need to refer to it first though, for the next Group Build!
Matbe you should also write a book(s) solely on individual NJG's - sure it would be a success!!
Marea, glad to help. I think you'll find that it's an excellent book. As I recall, it was originally a series of individual articles, published (I think) in Scale Models magazine in the late 1970's or early 1980's. Don't forget to post some pics of your models in the Modelling threads. In fact, why not join in with the Group Builds? The next one is for 'Bombers/Heavy Hitters', ideal for your subject(s), and starts on November 1st. The current GB ends on November 30th, and is featuring the MTO (in general).
EDIT: Ah, crossing posts. Looks like the info re the download is already in hand!

I hadn't seen the modelling group but now you've mentioned it... :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back