13's.... (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep ...it wasn't. In one of these pics he can be seen lying dead on the Bf 109 wing, as memory serves.

A better resolution and larger picture of the unfortunate Maxis "White 13."

Attachments

• Maxis13.jpg
    Maxis13.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 104
.... minus his flying boots. His corpse had already been looted. :shock:

Maxis was lying face down in the snow on the port side of White 13, facing toward the rear of the aircraft his feet rested on the wing...there are at least 2 photo's showing this unfortunate event, both can be seen in Bodenplatte by John Manhro and Ron Putz.

Absolutely right Wayne, and an excellent book it is too. I found this post on the Twelve O' Clock High Forum (2005) where the author John Manhro replies to a question about this event from forum owner Ruy Horta..

"First of all I do not know the name of the US soldier that actually shot Uffz. Maxis. I have been in contact with soldiers of the same unit, but they did not want to give me the name...... At least two years ago the specific US soldier was still alive. All documents I saw of the unit showed that there was no court martial. Uffz. Maxis was shot in the head from close range. To be honest, I did not really pursue the quest for the name of the soldier. My interest was mainly to find a possible grave. As a US Graves Registration Unit had taken the body I have checked all burial files of former US War cemeteries as Henri-Chappelle (Germans were buried there too!) and the ones in eastern France. I checked probably around 20,000 graves......no trace of an unknown German pilot that could be a match....."

Some time ago, it was thought it was Walter Dahl's " Blue 13". But now it is said it was the Fw190A-8/R2 "Black 13" of 11 Sturm JG3 , the Schongau airfield, August 1944. Other source says it was of IV.(Sturm) JG3.

Last edited:
In that way...:lol:

Attachments

• fw-190_0062.jpg
    fw-190_0062.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Back