13's....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I say, jolly decen't of you sport, thank you frightfully and all that rot! One has just found the decals for her on Hannant's, don't you know! :D

Does any good profiles or pics exist of this bird from the 325th FG, #13 "Devil May Care"?

Attachments

• P-47C 13 Devil May Care.jpg
    P-47C 13 Devil May Care.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 132
Just for next years BoB GB, what do we know about these two "13's"? "Red 13" is an E-1 2./JG26 in France early '40, "Yellow 13" is an E-4 from 9./JG54 also '40 any chance that these two took part in the dogfights over Britain that year?
I also have "White 13" an E-3 with W. Nr 3576, which is from III./JG54. She was shot down over Lydd October '40.....

Edit: Could someone please size down the pic slightly? :oops:

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 181
Almost sure 'Yellow 13' was shot down or force-landed during the BoB. Also virtually sure the JG26 kite also in the Bob, from Caffiers. I've got stuff somewhere in my fairly large Bob files, but one book has gone astray that I know has a profile of 'Yellow 13', I think it's fallen down behind a wardrobe! Leave it with me... the question, not the wardrobe!

Righty O! First, 'Red 13' of 2/JG26. It is almost certain that this would have been up-graded to E3 standard, and probably served during the BoB, although a lack of Werke Nr can't confirm this. The Geschwader occupied 3 bases, at Audembert, Marquise and Caffiers, in the Pas De Calais, and I believe I Gruppe were at Audembert.
Now, 'Yellow 13', of JG54. This Geschwader again occupied three bases in the Pas De Calais area, at Guines, Campagne-les-Guines, and Hermalinghen, all of which were between Wissant and Boulogne. It was I Gruppe that occupied the field at Campagne. Note that the aircraft in your profile does not bear the III Gruppe bar which, although unusual, is correct for a 9 Staffel machine, and this Staffel, AFAIK, was based at Guines.
Several, but not all, of this unit's aircraft had the distintictive 'tiger stripe' mottle, whilst the other Gruppes had plain RLM65 sides, or a very pale, small mottle. I'm fairly certain that this aircraft did force land during the Battle, but I still can't find the bl**dy book!
Hope this helps old boy!

Does this help?

"Luftwaffe Colurs"
BoB
Phase One:
by Eric Mombeek
Classic Publications

Attachments

• img084.jpg
    img084.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 126
Great stuff Chris! I thought I was right! The lower, full side-view pic is also in the book I've 'lost', but your profile is better. Thanks mate, saves me moving half the furniture in my house!

Found out that Leutnant Josef Eberle was shot and KIA on 9 October 1940, by 41st Sqn RAF near Rochester in "Yellow 13" could this be that machine, 9./JG54?

Also, what do we know about Uffz. Erich Barthel's Bf 109G-14 13+ W.Nr.512430, Schoenwalde, October`44?

I take it that these two would suit just perfect for the E-3/E-4's then? 8) :D :oops:

Attachments

• TA61063.jpg
    TA61063.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 112
  • TA61050.jpg
    TA61050.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 109
Certainly would suit Jan. The first could be done as an E3 or E4 of course.
What's the Tamiya kit like? My 1/48th scale E4 is the old (1980+) Hasegawa - thought it was Tamiya, it's so long since I built it, I'd forgotten!
BTW, Model Hobbies have in stock the new Eduard Bf109E1 - at £43 though!!!
I saw a 'coming soon' ad from a German company some months ago, showing the Eduard box-art for an E4, so looks like they're getting the benefit of the moulds for varying 'E' types; Messerschmitt, not Jaguar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back