2018 Road trip

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just caught up on this thread . My compliments Paul and what a great thing to do with your son!

Just to close the loop, the engine in that "109" in the Erikson collection is indeed an Allison. I knew they ducted the exhausts down to make the set up look like an inverted DB but it's the first pic I've seen of the arrangement.

Also an interesting tidbit on the Mosquito T.III in Paul Allen's collection: when the museum acquired the aircraft, a large chunk of the one piece wing had been missing as it was sawed off to allow the aircraft to be displayed against a wall. A complete new wing was built by Avspecs in NZ for this restoration.

Looking forward to more!

A complete new wing was built by Avspecs in NZ for this restoration.

They'll tell you its the original wing, just overhauled. Got abused on facebook (I'm not actually on facebook, so real shit they did this) for writing an article suggesting the aircraft is a new build, not a restoration, which it is, since the fuse, tailplane, much of the wing is all built from scratch. Same with KA114; the entire structure was built by Glyn Powell.

This still rankles some people. They cant accept that building a new airframe and fitting it with bits from an original aeroplane is not the same as a restoration of an existing airframe.

Thanks guys, it really was a great trip, we missed one museum. SAC bomber command but maybe next year. Lots of learning and glad he is interested in history as well. Though our tastes differ in what we like, he is mainly a jet fan where I am piston engine but we both love learning new things on anything aircraft related. Sorry for the late reply I went back to work last night as we where shut down. Had 23 inches of snow drop in the last three days. Hard to believe this is suppose to be spring, They say more snow on the way with possible 3 to 6 inches. Any way back to the aircraft.

I do have a bunch of jet pictures I can post as well if people are interested

Part of the wreckage of an A6M zero. Off hand I don't remember much about it. I will have to go and see if my son took a picture of the data on this one as I must not have.

Users who are viewing this thread