21st August 1968

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pisis

2nd Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2004
Praga Mater Urbium
On August 21st 1968 the Armies of five allied countries, also known as the Warsaw Pact, crossed the frontier of the former Czechoslovak republic. It was a reply to the reform attempts of the then state representatives. The ideals of ordinary citizens as well as the policy of the Communism with a human face were destroyed, its main propagators arrested and abducted to the unknown place...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/21/newsid_2781000/2781867.stm
http://www.slovakradio.sk/rsi/ang/history/txt/2903_august68.html
www.radio.cz/en/article/57289

akg9TS-1968-8-21-A1-11.jpg

srpen68_tank.jpg

REMEMBER!

I said it before - I wish the US would of confronted this action instead of wasting lives and money in Viet Nam!

I always wondered even at an earlier age watching the Czech mess why didn't a few hundred folk get together and take out the Soviets arsenal with Molotv cocktails. It did happen too infrequently ....

I know that its not 1968 but in our rifle club we have a member who was part of the Hungarian uprising in 1957 and just about escaped with his life when he fled to the west.
He never talks about it, but can he shoot. We were on the long ranges and all he said was that he wished he had had a modern rifle back home.

When he first joined the club I was his coach and when I asked if he had shot before, he simply said that it was in 1957, but he didn't think it would help as it was an SMG.
It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.

Erich said:
I always wondered even at an earlier age watching the Czech mess why didn't a few hundred folk get together and take out the Soviets arsenal with Molotv cocktails. It did happen too infrequently ....

They did but the governemnt was the traitor... They signed an agreement n Moscow later on: "...The Warsaw Pact tanks came to protect us from the imperialistic danger...". Then there was nothing that the people could do (we know what happened in Romania, Hungary, etc...), in a short time after this the government made a special law so-called the "Banton Article" that allowed policemen to beat/arrest anyone who is disagreeing the occupation... Thousand of people went to exile, it was a third exodus within only some 30 years, so don't wonder that Czech Republic is now at the state as it is............ Only a few people had the self-confidence and courage to saty and destroy the evil in-core - like Václav Havel.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back