352nd Fighter Group "Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney" Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Take your time my friend. Just take a few close up images of these conopies with the model. Just I need to see their fitting right?

First things first H. The main canopy appears to be back to front, so turning it around will help. Next, try to carefully remove the windscreen - it's to far aft. Re-fit this, carefully, aligning the rear frame with the main canopy, with the forward edge sitting on top of the raised lip of the fuselage. You might have to sit it in a 'bed' of PVA, and seal it with same once its set, to fill any gaps. At the moment, it's too far down and to the rear, which is the main cause of the problems.
You might have to trim a very small amount off the plastic of the fuselage, where the curve meets the vertical line between windscreen verticcal frame and cockpit horizontal sill.
Oh, and once the windscreen is removed, clean-up the entire area of the scuttle over the instrument panel, especially around the edges where the 'screen sits, see if the joint can be filled, and then paint this dark green or Olive Drab.

Last edited:

Thanks everyone

Thank you T I will try this!

Definitely back to front. Apart from a narrower profile at the rear, the side panels which have extra detail around them are representing the opening panels of the real thing. The main problem causing the canopy not to fit is that windscreen - it's too far aft, and too low. This can be seen at the joint between the windrscreen bottom vertical frame, and the cockpit sill where it rises to the curve of the instrument panel scuttle.
Once you've removed the windscreen, and cleaned the paint off the cockpit sill and around the curve, the 'screen should then fit neatly, with the front edge on top of that curved, raised section on the cowling top, and the main canopy should then drop into place.

Okay I've got it to the point where there's a small canopy gap how do I fill the gap though? I dont really follow

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Looks much better. Suggest PVA (white carpenter's glue) applied with a toothpick to fill the gaps. Goes on white and dries clear and will not fog the glass. You can also paint over it. If you mess up, just wipe off with a wet Q-Tip before the glue has set and start over.

Well done H, and as Andy said, PVA is the thing. You can also 'build it up' if required. If the first application seals it, but there's still a depression in the joint, run-in another bead, wiping off excess with a wet finger tip until smooth, let it dry, and repeat as required until a flawless joint is achieved.

Users who are viewing this thread