"633 Sqn" Movie Mosquito.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Three.
First flight, rolled to port and entered a flat spin. Impacted the lawn right way up, with little damage, after forward flight of approximately five feet.
Second flight, added ballast, adjusted ailerons and elevators. Similar flight, although did not spin, and forward flight now about eight feet.
Third flight. Further adjustments, better "launch", forward, stable flight achieved to a range of approximately fifteen feet. Stalled, dived vertically, impacting in a flower bed, losing starboard tail-plane and canopy. One fatality on the ground, with a passing ant being impaled by one of the machine guns.
Wreckage recovered, Class C write off, allocated for range practice, before being moved to the "Fire Dump" for Fire Crew exercises.
Remains finally buried somewhere in Burma .................

Not much to show just yet, as I'm messing about trying different methods of removing and / or sanding back the original varnish and paint, which is very hard going, time consuming, and slightly painful.
I wanted to try using brake fluid, but as the weather here is bl**dy awful at the moment, there's no way I'm venturing out on my mobility scooter just yet !
However, I've noticed that Model Hobbies have some paint remover, specifically designed to strip enamel and acrylic paints from plastic, and as I also want to remove the "failed" AK Metal paint from that Mirage III build, I've ordered a bottle, which, hopefully, should be with me early next week.

Last edited:
I have a small piece of fabric from one of the static Mosquitos used in the movie. It was a trainer and positioned so the yellow underside didn't show.

Terry

Thanks Geo.

The "Expo" paint remover has arrived, and I've started to strip the paint from the model.
Quite impressed so far, as this is old enamel paint, applied by brush, with a very tough polyurethane varnish finish coat, and over thirty years of dust, dirt and grease.
Photo shows the result after the first application, doing a section at a time, and I found the stuff easy to use. If there's interest, I'll post an "in use" review of the product, once I get further into the paint removal.

DSCF0668.JPG
DSCF0677.JPG

Funnily enough, that was my immediate first thought when I started stripping the paint !!

Yep, but they came off easily enough with a second, lighter application of the stripper.

DSCF0679.JPG

Got most of the paint off, with just the underside of the wings and part of the lower surfaces to do.
Once that's done, and the remaining small paint flake detritus has hardened, it'll be brushed-down using an old toothbrush, then cleaned and polished with "T-Cut" to remove small, thin paint traces, and then wiped-down with a bit of thinners.
I'm hoping to get that all done tomorrow (Sunday), and then move on to working on the canopy.
I've considered those scratch-built exhausts, and I'll probably replace them with a couple of sets of resin Spitfire exhausts. There aren't any "two stage" Mossie exhausts available, apart from in conversion sets, but "Brengun" do the Spit pipes in a set of four, at a relatively low price. Just got to make up the order for Hannants to make it worthwhile.
Back sometime tomorrow .......... er, later today !

Yes Andy, but they are part of the "two stage" conversion set, which will possibly be needed for the Pathfinder Mossie I've been asked to build, and if not, then the set will be used to make a B.XVI for myself.
Been looking again at the scratch-built exhausts on the model - it could be a bit fiddly to remove them, and then extend the "slot" for the resin examples, so I'll see how they clean-up, and might just live with them.

Thanks Hugh.

Went to bed straight after posting Andy !

All the old paint has now been removed, although there are a couple of rough spots which will need light sanding, once the surface has hardened.
This was mainly on the sides of the nacelles, and probably due to leaving the stripper on the surface a little too long before scraping off the paint. Consequently, as the stripper dried out, the loosened paint started to dry into rather sticky, rubbery lumps, but I'm confident that all will be well once sanded.
When that's done, a further rub-over with "T-Cut" ( car body colour restorer ) will smooth things out, and then a wash-down with enamel thinners to finally clean the surface.
I'll start a separate thread showing how this product works, and what to watch out for, as I think it may be useful to some members who have previously asked about paint removal.

I've decided to replace the scratch-built exhausts, and have ordered the "Brengun" resin Spitfire set of four, which should do the job.
The model surface should be ready for sanding by tomorrow, so I'm hoping to complete the surface preparation by tomorrow night, and then move on to sorting the canopy, which will need to have the side windows made from clear sheet.
Pics show how things look so far.

DSCF0684.JPG
DSCF0686.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back