"633 Sqn" Movie Mosquito.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
A "Re-conversion" from the Airfix 1/48th scale Mosquito FB.VI.

It's been six months since I did any modelling, the Swiss F-5E being my last project, and the down-time being mainly due to lack of medication for the stiffness and pain caused by my RA. This is due to lack of treatment, because of the risks involved due to the Covid emergency. However, I've now commenced a course of steroids, which should help until such time as proper treatment can be had, and I thought I'd ease myself back into things.

Over 30 years ago, I converted the Airfix 1/48th scale Mosquito FB.VI into something resembling a B.Mk.XVI, using the "bomber" nose section from the even older Monogram kit, found in the spares box.. This was long before the advent of aftermarket resin and other parts, and the extended "two-stage" engine nacelles, and the bulged bomb bay, were moulded from "Milliput". Exhausts were scratch-built, and the later style bomber canopy was home-moulded. The model was brush-painted in Humbrol enamels, and the code letters hand-painted, freehand. The final, matt clear coat was done using an enamel (or perhaps polyurethane) varnish, standard practice for that era, before decent acrylic clear coats were available, and which, over the years, has yellowed and darkened. For some strange reason, the home-moulded canopy has also turned yellowish-brown, I presume due to whatever material I used at the time which, from memory, was probably not the usual clear plastic sheet from the LHS. (other canopies made back then are still clear and not tinted).
The pics below show the model as it looked a couple of years ago - rather dusty, dirty and tarnished, and the first step in the "regeneration" is to remove the unwanted parts, such as the wing tanks (Monogram) and canopy, clean the model, and either sand-back or remove the existing paint.
I'm intending to use a spare main section of a canopy left over from the Airfix B/PR.XVI kit, for which I will have to fabricate side windows and adapt it to fit, and add machine guns from the spares box, along with a couple of other minor mods relevant to the movie aircraft.

Most here will be aware that the movie, filmed in 1963, employed a number of Mosquito TT35 aircraft, with around three or four able to taxi, and a further four airworthy, and, horror of horrors, two or three were deliberately destroyed during the filming of action scenes !
The TT35 was a conversion of the B.35, for target-towing duties, with the clear Perspex nose of the bomber version, and the later canopy with bulged, rather than blister, side windows, and a blister on the roof escape hatch. Unlike the earlier movie "The Purple Plain", where PR35 Mosquitoes were used, and the nose re-modelled to more closely represent that of the FB.VI. for the "633 Squadron" movie ( and the later "Mosquito Squadron"), this was not done, the clear nose simply being painted over, and dummy machine guns fitted in place. The colour scheme was also slightly spurious, for a FB.VI, being more akin to that of the "bomber" version, and the code letters were painted in a rather curious pale green shade, perhaps due to a common description, back then, that these were in "Duck Egg Green", which, in reality, was actually "Sky".
A number of the movie aircraft still survive today, and one example, in the RAF Museum Cosford, is shown below, painted to represent the aircraft used by W/Cdr Guy Gibson.

I'll post pics of the first stages of the "re-work" soon.

Wall of Shame 011.jpg
Wall of Shame 009.jpg
Wall of Shame 008.jpg
Cosford 096.jpg

Last edited:
I have a spare Monogram bomber version nose and canopy if you need one, right here in my junkbox #2.

By the way, has anyone else concluded that the P-38 Droop Snoop plexiglas nose came off a Mossie?

Thanks chaps, and thanks for the offer of parts.
The nose already in place is the old Monogram part, and I still have a Monogram bomber canopy. However, the TT/B.35 used a slightly different style of canopy, and the spare from the Airfix PR.XVI is close enough, once the side widows are fabricated and added (the kit parts are needed for use with the other canopy from this kit, for a B/XVI conversion, using the Tamiya kit).
I've started work on the preparation, and I'll post some pics a little later.

Preparation work is underway, and the pics below show what's what so far.

Pic 1. Wing tanks, canopy, nose glazing, radios and props removed, and some trial sanding of the paint commenced.
Pic2. A slot has been cut into the leading edge of the starboard wing, where the landing light on this Mark was located. The lamp will be made from a piece of clear sprue, fixed with CA, and then filed and sanded to shape and polished.
Pic3. Scaping and sanding off the very tough final varnish coat, has revealed the original colours, which had really darkened due to yellowing of the enamel or polyurethane varnish used all those years ago. I'm still undecided whether to continue to try to sand-back the varnish and paint finish, which is very hard going, or use something like brake fluid to remove the paint entirely. A few tests are on order I think.
Pic.4 This is the spare Airfix PR.XVI canopy, just loosely placed in position to check fit. The bulged side windows will need to be fabricated from clear sheet, as the kit parts are needed for use with the other canopy, for a B.XVI conversion, and some work done to adapt the fit around the cockpit sill. Note the differences in the framework, and the extra blister on the roof, compared to the earlier bomber canopy as supplied in the old Monogram and more recent Tamiya B.IV kits..
Pic 5. The nose blister used is from the old Monogram kit, and represents the earlier bomber version. The later B./TT.35 version had a slightly shallower optically flat panel, and lacked the single reinforcing strap on the top. Not much I can do about the flat panel, but the single frame can easily be removed.

Back when there's something positive to show.

DSCF0660.JPG
DSCF0661.JPG
DSCF0664.JPG
DSCF0657.JPG
DSCF0658.JPG

Can you find a Mike Baldwin and Shughie McFee in 1/48 scale?

Yep, that's one of them. It was purchased from the Strahallan Collection by Kermit Weeks, and flown to the USA.
From memory, it was damaged in a storm some years ago, stood outdoors for some years, and hasn't flown since. It's shown in the colours of the FB.VI flown by Gp.Cpt. Pickard on the Amiens Prison attack of February 1944.

I have four of the Monogram kits and one 1/48 Airfix FBVI.

I think it an interesting idea to graft on the nose of a Monogram P-61 to make the "Bull Nose" NF version - except that it is so ugly.

Thanks Andy.

No doubt the keen-eyed will have noticed that the exhausts are too far aft on the model, for a "two stage" Merlin example, but I'll live with that, although I'll probably replace the stubs with better examples if possible.
The aim is to have a representation of one of the movie aircraft, rather than scrap what is essentially a reasonable, if perhaps basic model, and as long as it looks like a "633 Squadron" Mossie, I'll be happy with that.

Incidentally, this movie has had such an impact over the years, that the RAF Museum have even included a fictitious history of the "Squadron" in their official lists of RAF and Commonwealth Squadron Histories !!

This is gonna be good, Terry.

Just a wee bit of info for those interested (I wrote an article in a New Zealand aviation magazine about surviving UK Mossies a coupla years ago), six of the world's surviving complete Mosquito airframes are ex-633 Squadron/Mosquito Squadron movie stars, three of these in the UK. These areas follows:

TA634 at the De Havilland Aviation Heritage Centre, which was used in Mosquito Squadron, but not 633 Squadron, as G-AWJV for flying sequences.

50612073562_e83491784b_b.jpg
TA634

TA639 at the RAFM Cosford, which was a flyer in 633 Squadron, but didn't receive a civil rego owing to ownership by the RAF Air Historic Branch.

50612073537_524c56ce97_b.jpg
TA639

TA719 at IWM Duxford, which was G-ASKC as a flyer in 633 Squadron but was a ground airframe only in Mosquito Squadron.

50611959971_37cfa2ea1b_b.jpg
TA719

Thanks Grant - saved me digging out my pics of the other UK survivors.

I've just remembered, this is not the first "633 Sqn" Mossie I have attempted.
As a youngster back in 1964, the year the movie was released, I converted the original, very basic, 1/72 nd scale Airfix FB.VI into the "belly landed " aircraft from the movie, filing the nose to represent the painted over glazing, altering the engine nacelles, and moulding a "bomber" canopy, with the escape hatch open, and bending back the props.
The main reason for making it as the "belly landed" example, apart from wanting to do so, was that the kit main wheels were terrible, thin thingies, more like trouser buttons !!
As far as I remember, it eventually met a fiery end, after being "shot up" by my air rifle !

Good to see you back at it Terry, I will be following this.
As far as I remember, it eventually met a fiery end, after being "shot up" by my air rifle !
I never could bring myself to do that to one of my models. Some where in a box up in the attic I still have the first airplane model I built with my father, the old Revell PB4Y-1 (because of course he flew in B-24s), Its pretty much complete except for the props and gun barrels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back