A few ground rules for the new folks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To All:

Thanks for the WELCOME!

I am starting to explore the great many things on this forum.

I feel a bit like when I got activated in the Guard. I didn't know what was ahead. I also knew that to be able to come home and hang the Beret up with honor, the road led through Baghdad.

So much to explore here. I am just having fun going into areas that catch me eye. So you will have a hard time keeping up with my random wanderings.

Bill G.

Everyone Prides themselves on knowing of, or arguing for, the 'Best Aircraft' of WWII. What about the WORST Aircrafts of WWII? Here are my choices:

HORRID DESIGN: Tie: UNITED STATES of America Curtis SO3C'Sea Mew' Float plane (so bad it was replaced in production with the SOS Seagul Biplane it superceeded) and the Brewster Buccaneer (so bad, the British would scrap it on the docks for parts and then melt it for the metal. Runner Ups (tie) ME 210 Germany (worst flying characteristic ever built) and VL Myrski Finland (so bad,the first three prototypes disintergrated in mid flight. All scrapped in 1945-7. MIG-1 Poor armament (1# 12.7mm 2" 7.62mm) and poor low level performance did it in.

Wretched Reliability: Heinkel He 177 "Flying Coffin" Germany (it's wretched Daimler-Benz DB 606 engines did it in) Runner Ups Lockheed C-69 Constellation USAAF(it's wretched P/W R-3350 engines grounded the entire fleet in 1944) Bloch 151/152 FR (All delivered 151/152 in 1939 declared 'unfit for service')Lockheed P-38H Lightning (engine cooling/detonation problems=more were lost due to engine seizures than combat loss!!!)

Operationally (i.e. "A sitting duck") Morane Sauliner MS 406. France 175Kills vrs 400 Killed says it all!!! Fairey Battle GB(60% group losses in France were typical) Vought SB2U Vindicator USA. 100% loss rate when used in France; 60% loss rate (0r more) when used by USN in Battle of Midway. MIG-1, MIG-3 CCCP (near worthless armament 1#12.7mm/2# 7.62mm guns) and low level performance meant it was a deathtrap for the soviet pilots who flew it.

TOO OLD TO FIGHT, but did Amoit 143M France (1928) Boeing P-26 USA in Phillipine service (1930) Polikarpov U-2/Po-2 MULE CCCP (1927) Fiat CR32 Italy (1933)

Everyone Prides themselves on knowing of, or arguing for, the 'Best Aircraft' of WWII. What about the WORST Aircrafts of WWII? Here are my choices:

HORRID DESIGN: Tie: UNITED STATES of America Curtis SO3C 'Sea Mew' Float plane (so bad it was replaced in production with the SOS Seagul Biplane it superceeded) and the Brewster Buccaneer (so bad, the British would scrap it on the docks for parts and then melt it for the metal. Runner Ups (tie) ME 210 Germany (worst flying characteristic ever built) and VL Myrski Finland (so bad,the first three prototypes disintergrated in mid flight. All scrapped in 1945-7. MIG-1 Poor armament (1# 12.7mm 2" 7.62mm) and poor low level performance did it in.

Wretched Reliability: Heinkel He 177 "Flying Coffin" Germany (it's wretched Daimler-Benz DB 606 engines did it in) Runner Ups Lockheed C-69 Constellation USAAF(it's wretched P/W R-3350 engines grounded the entire fleet in 1944) Bloch 151/152 FR (All delivered 151/152 in 1939 declared 'unfit for service')Lockheed P-38H Lightning (engine cooling/detonation problems=more were lost due to engine seizures than combat loss!!!)

Operationally (i.e. "A sitting duck") Morane Sauliner MS 406. France 175Kills vrs 400 Killed says it all!!! Fairey Battle GB(60% group losses in France were typical) Vought SB2U Vindicator USA. 100% loss rate when used in France; 60% loss rate (0r more) when used by USN in Battle of Midway. MIG-1, MIG-3 CCCP (near worthless armament 1#12.7mm/2# 7.62mm guns) and low level performance meant it was a deathtrap for the soviet pilots who flew it.

TOO OLD TO FIGHT, but did Amoit 143M France (1928) Boeing P-26 USA in Phillipine service (1930) Polikarpov U-2/Po-2 MULE CCCP (1927) Fiat CR32 Italy (1933)

HORRID DESIGN: Tie: UNITED STATES of America Curtis SO3C'Sea Mew' Float plane (so bad it was replaced in production with the SOS Seagul Biplane it superceeded) and the Brewster Buccaneer (so bad, the British would scrap it on the docks for parts and then melt it for the metal. Runner Ups (tie) ME 210 Germany (worst flying characteristic ever built) and VL Myrski Finland (so bad,the first three prototypes disintergrated in mid flight. All scrapped in 1945-7. MIG-1 Poor armament (1# 12.7mm 2" 7.62mm) and poor low level performance did it in.

CPTG, if your out there, you made a pretty interesting post, you just put it in the wrong place.

Kidding aside,
Try reading up on the posting guidelines, and perhaps start a thread here to introduce yourself, like these other folks did.

New here and looking around
acid_mojojojo 03-19-2009

Greetings!
imalko 03-17-2009

Hello to all.
Thunder

If you have questions feel free.

{And don't mess with Les!} :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back