A few more future releases. (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_20230208_025004.jpg

IMG_20230208_025038.jpg

Might be in the market for the Boeing SST.
Then you missed your chance! A subscale mock up of the SST, using typical aluminum aircraft skin and stringer construction, not nearly as big as 1:1, but still nearly the size of a DC-3, was located in a Transportation Museum in Kissimmee FL. After the museum went out of business a church used the building and held their services with the SST mockup in the background. Finally the mockup was sold and ended up at an aerospace junkyard on Merritt Island FL maybe 10 miles from where I live. After the owner of the junkyard passed away, the SST mockup was purchased by someone else. You could have had it for you very own!

Interesting thing about the BOMARC was that it was made of Thoriaded Magnesium to make it stronger at high temperatures and as a result the airframe itself was mildly radioactive. Special procedures had to be used when doing airframe maintenance.

The BOMARCs were converted into supersonic targets and fired from Vandenberg AFB down the coast to NAS Pt Mugu, where the USN practiced intercepting them as simulated cruise missiles.

Then you missed your chance! A subscale mock up of the SST, using typical aluminum aircraft skin and stringer construction, not nearly as big as 1:1, but still nearly the size of a DC-3, was located in a Transportation Museum in Kissimmee FL. After the museum went out of business a church used the building and held their services with the SST mockup in the background. Finally the mockup was sold and ended up at an aerospace junkyard on Merritt Island FL maybe 10 miles from where I live. After the owner of the junkyard passed away, the SST mockup was purchased by someone else. You could have had it for you very own!
Darn! Missed my chance! I believe it is at the Hiller museum, at least the forward part of it.

Update: Now at the museum of flight at Paine field. Home again!

Forgotten Boeing SST a powerful symbol of road not taken

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back