A fishing trip gone bad

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Soren

1st Lieutenant
Feb 6, 2005
Yesterday a close friend and I decided to go fishing in an old dinghy, however we needed an engine, but luckily our diving club had a 30 HP one which we then borrowed. Good, but we then needed a boat trailer to get the dinghy to the beach. We borrowed an old one from my friends father, however it had nearly completely rusted away, but what the heck we took the chance and borrowed it.

And so with the dinghy on the trailer and the engine in the trunk we headed for the beach. We got there with no problems, but we then had to pull the trailer dinghy over the sand banks, which resulted in the trailer coming apart (The struts meant to hold the dinghy snapped [rusted away]). Hmmm... oh well, one then held the strut in place while the other pulled the trailer. By that method we successfully got the dinghy to the water.

With the dinghy at the waters edge we fastened the engine to it and were ready to go fishing, however as it turned out this wouldn't be just another one of those calm and relaxing fishing trips. After about sailing 5 kilometers along the shore at about 1.3km out the boat suddenly turned violently to the right! I sitting at the front of the boat to keep the nose down emmidiately thought we were about to tip over, however upon looking back I saw what infact had happened was that the engine had ripped itself off the dinghy and was now sinking to the bottom of the sea. I thought this was like taken out of some bad movie, I couldn't believe what had just happened! While all along my friend was swearing god knows what..

It turns out the engine had ripped off the metal platform onto which it was fastened the dinghy. A freak accident.

Anyway being in approx. the right position to start fishing and there being nothing we could do to get the engine we decided to just start fishing and make the best out of the trip. However this was to go wrong as-well as after nomore than 10 second after throwing out the first line we caught two weevers, which are poisonouss and worth nothing really. Crap! we had to get them off, but these guys were aggressive as hell and a real pain in the ass to hold still while trying to get the hooks out. Anyway with one of us holding them down with a sandal the other got out the hooks and we threw them out again. We then tried again and once again within 20 secs and we got a bite! Once again, TWO WEEVERS! ****! Oh well, same procedure, sandal, get out the hooks. One last try, this time with one hook. Again a weever!... OK, fishing trip is over, lets row for shore!

So tommorrow we have to get our scuba gear and go find that engine..

What a trip !

Oh and just top all that bad luck off, after having rowed back to shore we decided to go have a nice cold beer to settle down and reflect upon what had happened. And to no suprise this went wrong as well as one of the cans exploded up my friend's face! Him getting completely soaked in beer I litterally broke down in laughter for the next 10 minutes! :lol:

I mean how the heck can so much go wrong on just one day ??!

Look at it this way, you've used up all the bad Ju ju for the next 6 trips! You will have a great summer now!

Are you aware of any underwater archeology in that area? Be efficient while you're down there!

Scuba Dooba!

Seems like good ol' Mr Murphy was having a day and a half with you guys....just wait and see if Riley if waiting around the corner....
Have had nights like that at work...

Sounds like my fishing trip the other day. Some piece of metal was stuck in the shoreline and poked into my wooden canoe and then out on the lake we hit something that ripped the whole bottom out. It was an outboard engine somebody lost. We picked it up and now it supports my mailbox. Nice little 30hp machine. :)

Sounds like Njaco found Soren's engine. Guess it was still running when it ripped off the boat. Crossed the ocean, went up a tributary and wrecked his boat!

Yup...good ol' Murphy's Law in the working here....wonder if we'll see a court order from NJ to Trackie where he sue them for bodily harm and mental suffering etc...

Just think, Soren... it could have been worse ! The boat could have sunk !

Charles

Not sunk, but it could've flipped upside down which is just as bad. (The dinghy is made of glassfiber)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back