A little emergency help...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BikerBabe

Senior Master Sergeant
May 21, 2009
Denmark.
www.bmwmc.dk
Hi all. *Waves*

I've started on working on the cockpit parts of the 109 that I bought recently, but now I've got a very small problem.
When I removed the set of rudder pedals from the kit, I accidentally broke one of the pedal things off the set of pedals.
Now: Do I have a chance of fixing that and reattaching the pedal (- superglue?), or is it just something to learn from? It's some very small parts, so I don't really know...it seems like it could need something attached as support behind the pedal to stay in place, if I manage to glue it back together - it's such a fine, tiny stick-thing.

Lucky13 is right.:lol: But if you want to fix it you can do it of course .Either you fix it with a glue for polirtyrene or you will have it scratch-built.I don't suggest the superglue using because you won't have any time to correct its position.

Maybe a few pics of the damage?

Last edited:
Here you are:

0017.jpg

Last edited:
You don't need to fix it as you probably won't be able to see it once the kit is completed. It happened to me once on a Spitfire... Ended up not putting the rudder pedals on the kit. Why would I bother fixing a part that no one can see anyway ?

Kind of like painting the bomb bay of a bomber knowing that it will be displayed with its doors closed... Just a waste of time and paint, in my book.

Is that a plastic or rasin part? If it is made of plastic follow that I posted above. There isn't any reason it can't be fixed.

easy fix, little bit of 'general' glue put it back into position and let it set...then you will be back in business!:D

...and if necessary add a small piece of 'support' plastic behind the pedal....

Be careful not to get your fingers growing fond of the part and get attached to it! :lol:

*dryly* In that case, I'd still be dragging around with at least two ex-boyfriends, as I'm stil very fond of both gentlemen... :lol:
I've been fixing the broken pedal set, pics coming up. ;)

easy fix, little bit of 'general' glue put it back into position and let it set...then you will be back in business!:D
...and if necessary add a small piece of 'support' plastic behind the pedal....

Hi Wayne and thanks for the input - I went for the superglue solution with the little piece of support plastic behind, pics coming up. Have to Photoshop 'em first, though. :)

EDIT:....a few minutes later:
Here's how I did it:

First, I worked a piece of the kit parts frame, so I got a thin supporting plastic stick thing.
I thought it could be very useful to have something to hold on to, so I choose a cross-like part, so that I had something to hodl on to while both working on the thin stick, and also for later, when I had to glue the broken parts back together on the little stick thing:
0022.jpg

Then i Superglued the smallest pedal part on first, as I thought it was easier for me to hold on to the larger pedal part and control that while the glue was setting:

0025.jpg

After that was done, I Superglued the larger part on, holding it gently while the glue was drying:

0026.jpg

Then I very carefully warmed the supporting piece of plastic, so that I could turn the pedals to match each other's position gently, as they were a bit twisted:

0030.jpg

The final result. I know that the pedals are still a bit awkwardly positioned compared with the other, but at least they aren't as twisted as before I heated the plastic. And the important thing? I can live with it. ;)
EDIT: Okay, I've been studying the picture, and I can see that one pedal part is slightly oddly placed compared with the other. Hm. Well, at least they're in one piece. ;)

0032.jpg

Last edited:
...and then again: No I couldn't. :lol:

0035.jpg

It still isn't accurately positioned, but at least it isn't nearly as bad as before.
Peel apart ever so gently with a hobby knife where the pedals were glued together, sharpen the end of a matchstick, squeeze a small dab of Superglue onto a piece of paper, dip end of match in glue, apply - stick pedal to plastic stick and let set - repeat to other plastic part and plastic stick - ta-daaaaaaaa! ;)
Now THAT was the story of the rudder pedal set "Mein Kampf"! :lol:

:lol:

Glad you got it fixed. I usually manage to break a rudder pedal when it's in 1/48th, busted one on my Tamiya F4U-1 I just finished. In fact, I think I busted one on all 4 of them that I've built! :lol:

:lol:
Glad you got it fixed. I usually manage to break a rudder pedal when it's in 1/48th, busted one on my Tamiya F4U-1 I just finished. In fact, I think I busted one on all 4 of them that I've built! :lol:

Hi Catch22, and thanks. ;)
Now that you mention it, I seem to recall something about those %¤%¤ pedals on my old model kits from days long gone...so you're not alone. ;)

Nice work Maria, it looks fine to me. If you really want to have an excuse for the ever so slight difference in position of the pedals, then offset the rudder slightly to port. That'll make it look like the port pedal is pushed forward slightly, something I nearly always seemed to accidentally do when climbing out of a Chipmunk.

Bl**dy well done Maria! You've deserved a free drink of your choice! Yup, you guessed it, I can see the pics now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back