A new book in my library. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DVD Review - Spitfire.

Having now watched this all the way through, I can safely say that it is brilliant !

I looked out for this DVD after seeing the promotion for the new video by the same team, "American Warhorse", at Duxford during Flying Legends, this being due out in summer 2020.
I managed to find an 'as new - used' copy for just £6.25 including shipping, which turned out to be money well spent for over four hours of pure magic !
The extract from the rear cover (shown below) provides the gist of the content, so I won't attempt to describe everything here.
A number of cinematographers were involved in the production, with the aerial sequences being directed by renowned aviation photographer John Dibbs, and all of this excellent footage is interwoven with archive film, much of which has never been seen before, along with 'interviews' with some of the last few surviving WW2 Spitfire pilots, ATA pilots and others, which, with the extra 'bonus' features, makes a truly superb presentation.
It takes a lot to impress me, but this video really did, mainly due to the often emotive, absolutely stunning aerial photography, without the use of CGI or other visual effects.

Verdict : Stunning - get it, watch it !!

Vid 1 001.jpg
Vid 1 002.jpg

Any good books on the Spitfire and ww2 planes in general?

An expensive one, but worth it, is the Morgan & Shacklady "Spitfire - The History". A big, heavy 'bible' on the full history of the Spitfire, with photos, technical drawings and production information, with a lot of colour profiles of the various Marks. More of a technical reference, than a modellers guide.
Also, a bit less expensive, is "The Spitfire Story" by Alfred Price (now Dr. Alfred Price), another worthwhile hardback book.
Especially for modellers, there are the two volumes from Scale Aircraft Modelling (SAM), covering the Merlin engined variants, and the Griffon engine variants, with a lot of helpful info, including technical detail drawings, scale plans, colour interior and detail photos, profiles and colour scheme details, and modelling guides on the various types.
There are many other books, some good, some not so good, but a useful series for modellers are the Osprey "Spitfire Aces" books, in soft back at reasonable prices, often found on Amazon, in excellent, used condition, for around £6 to £8, or new for around £12 to £14.
These cover early Marks, late Marks and theaters, such as the MTO, and have lots of good photos, and around 8 pages of colour profiles in each volume.

Hope this helps.

Any good books on the Spitfire and ww2 planes in general?
Ditto on the above Spitfire recommendations.
For WWII in general, if you're just starting a library you have to decide do you want squadron histories, technical development or some mixture? Are you a modeler where interior photographs and color might be most important? From there, it's only a question of priorities and $$. Once you decide, pick an airplane and don't be afraid to come here and ask for book recommendations. Many posters here not only have extensive libraries, but can help you get the books as inexpensively as possible.

Don't be afraid to ask!

Terry I am watching it now and we should ALL downsize our ariels because at 100'+you cannot see it "so leave it off":D

Nice one Andy.
I have his 'D-Day' book, and recently saw the Arnhem book at a good price - might grab a copy.
Meanwhile, I got this, so cheap that the postage cost more than the book !

Buys 527.jpg

I might be visiting a few in a couple of weeks time, hence getting the book. Most have reverted back to agriculture, although some still have the remains of runways etc, whilst others are either still in use, or the buildings used for storage and industry, with a couple having a preserved control tower museum, or similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back