A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A friend of the Pre-wife's father died 13 years ago and over all those years she was lugging his WWII books around. He was in the 82dAB and dropped into Normandy. Thats another story! Anyhow, she got tired and gave all the books to me - about 50 in all!! Most are about the 82d and all the memoirs and places they went to during WWII but there are others - too many for me to post at the moment. One of the books is "The Lost Squadron" by David Hayes. All about the recovery of Glacier Girl - the P-38. Read it in one afternoon!
51e58mdezKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Basil H. "Bunny" Austin- "Urszula" - Inscription by author "It's like an obsession to me, that cool, callous, cold approach to death of the Russians - life is too involved for me to understand, but hope you enjoy this recording of mine, it was a doomsday and death for me. But those who cannot be [humble??], we are just one step from the end of the path. Story of South African airman shot down by Russians over Warsaw in 1944, who returns to Poland after the war to find a young girl who helped him. Based on true story.

more about "Bunny" Austin: http://www.zhp.michalin.pl/basil_harvey_austin

Last edited:
Some more great ones guys. Picked this one up today.

Attachments

• german.JPG
    german.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 122
I picked up four at a local used book store last night.

Commandant - About Rudolf Hoess (Auschwitz commandant)
Triumphant Fox - Obviously about Rommel
Rommel's Lieutenants - Speaks for itself
Stuka Spearhead 1939-1940 - Mostly pictures, but it was cheap and it looks pretty good.

Buys 260.jpg

I received Volume 2 of 'Luftwaffe Crash Archive' today, and I'm happy to report that it's another excellent book in this new series, with 256 pages packed with photos, some in colour this time, as well as profiles, sketches and maps.
In my review of Volume 1, I mentioned the lack of a Glossary, and explanation of some of the abbreviations in the A.I(g) crash reports, and I'm pleased to see that this has now been addressed, and a full Glossary is included in the back of the book, although there are one or two minor descriptive errors, which I will contact the publishers about.
I was slightly disappointed to see some more serious errors concerning the descriptive text for some of the photographs, especially those of the well-known Dornier at Leaves Green, following the attack on Kenley on August 18th, 1940, and the piece covering the Dornier recovered from Goodwin Sands just two weeks ago, where the entire crew are shown as having survived, and no mention is made of the discovery and eventual recovery of the aircraft.
As full information concerning this aircraft, and its crew, has been published by the RAF Museum, and included in BBC News articles, it's a shame that this error has occurred, but this, and the other small issues in no way affect the overall quality and impact of this volume which, even if viewed separately from the intended full series, provides a valuable and important record of the hardest weeks of the Battle of Britain, from 15th to 29th August, 1940
This fact is reflected in the period covered within the 256 pages - just two weeks - and shows the large amount of enemy aircraft brought down, on land, and off shore, in that short period.
Again, I intend to respectfully contact the publishers regarding the errorrs mentioned.
Volume 3 is due for release in September, covering the period between 30th August and 14th September 1940, and is advertised as having 'Full colour throughout'.
At a retail price of £25 per volume (£20 direct from the publisher), they are not particularly cheap, but, with publication spread out, with three months between volumes, I believe this is a convenient and affordable way of collecting part or all of the planned series of volumes.
Again, highly recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very worth looking at Wayne, there are many pics of 'familiar' downed aircraft not seen before.
Don't know what happened with the picture placement in my post - I had trouble loading, and it's appeared twice, both in the wrong place!

Iron Coffins - U-Boat book

I went in for the Dutch book and I was drawn in by the WWII section yet again. Gah!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back