A Pictorial Tour of RAF Museum, Cosford.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps, good to know you're enjoying the pics.
Continuing with the last batch from the 'Warplanes' exhibits, and I must apologise; I was standing right next to the Ohka, Storch and the new addition, the Harrier GR9, getting detail shots of the latter, and forgot to take full pics of them all! This was due to talking to Ian, my Museum Guide, and discussing the stupidity of the Ministry of Clowns ... er, sorry, our Government!
However, Karl (Rochie) has come to the rescue, and sent me the pics he took of the Ohka and Storch.
So, on to the final pics in this hangar, including the extremely rare Spitfire Mk1.
PICS 1 to 4. Spitfire Mk1, serial No. K9942. This was Number 156 of the first production batch of 174 Mark 1's, making its first flight on 21 April, 1939, before going to 72 Squadron, in who's pre-war codes and markings it is displayed. This aircraft was regularly flown by F.O. James B Nicolson, who went on to win Fighter Command's only VC of the war, flying a Hurricane during the BoB.
Note the early, un-armoured windscreen, 'flat' canopy, and 'pole'-type aerial mast.
PIC 5. Me163B-1a 'Komet'.
PIC 6. The 'Komet's' powerful armament, MK108 cannons.
PICS 7 and 8. Yokosuka MXY7 'Ohka' - pics by Karl.
PICS 9 and 10. Fiesler Storch, (pics by Karl) captured at Flensburgh, Germany, and at one time flown by Erich 'Winkle' Brown.
This was stored after a number of years use, before undergoing a full restoration. The wheels look suspiciously like those from a Spitfire!
Lots more to come yet, with the next section covering the rare prototypes and experimental aircraft.

Attachments

• Cosford 115.jpg
    Cosford 115.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 115
  • Cosford 121.jpg
    Cosford 121.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Cosford 123.jpg
    Cosford 123.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Cosford 125.jpg
    Cosford 125.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Cosford 127.jpg
    Cosford 127.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Cosford 128.jpg
    Cosford 128.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Ohka.JPG
    Ohka.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Ohka 2.JPG
    Ohka 2.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Storch.JPG
    Storch.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Storch 2.JPG
    Storch 2.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 124
Very nicely done Terry and thank Karl for us to sir. Do you happen to know how many Ohka are left? I thought there was only one but I may be wrong because the Smithsonian has one to. And being that I am not very well versed in the Spitfire, is that a Mk I or Mk II?

Thanks Aaron. As far as I know, there are certainly two Ohka, and I think another in the UK maybe. The Spit is an early Mk1, the oldest surviving example, as described in the text.

Thanks chaps.
Andy, this, and the RAF Museum, Hendon, are classed as 'National Museums', as are places like the National Gallery, British Museum, etc. The last bunch of f***wits in charge .... oh, sorry, the last Government, did at least one thing right, decreeing that these should be free to enter.
However, some funding has come from the National Heritage Fund, and Lottery grants, and most of the work (in restoration etc) is done by volunteers, and, of course, the RAF apprentices, who have some jobs as part of their training. There are also many fund-raising schemes, and appeals, such as the one to recover and restore the Dornier Do17, which, we hope, will be covered by public subscription.
Hmm - public subscription in 1940, to help buy a Spitfire, and now, a similar scheme, to help keep the Spitfire - or its adversaries !!!

Great pics Terry and Karl, thanks!

Do we know the origins of the Mustang pre restoration? 'Isobel III' (B6-V or poss. B , 44-13573) was the aircraft flown by F/L Jack Cleland (RNZAF) while on exchange with the 363rd FS, 357th FG. He is the only known New Zealand pilot to fly with the US 8th Air Force.
A photo exists of this aircraft after a later belly landing (under another pilot and coded F).

Jack Cleland

Last edited:
Great pics Terry and Karl, thanks!

Do we know the origins of the Mustang pre restoration? According to the 'kiwi aircraft images' site, 'Isobel III' (B6-B, 413573) was the aircraft flown by F/L Jack Cleland on exchange with the 363rd FS, 357th FG, the only known New Zealand pilot to fly with the US 8th Air Force. One of the Wanaka based Mustangs wore the scheme for a time as a result.

Jack Cleland

here you go mate

View attachment 1990-0692-A%20NA-MUSTANG.pdf

Beauty, thanks Karl! (and we clashed posts - was looking up more on his aircraft as you replied :) )

That link also covers why that choice of markings, which would have been my next question :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back