A Pictorial Tour of RAF Museum, Cosford.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Continuing around the 'Test Flight' hangar, here are a few more of the research and development aircraft- some wonderful, and some darned weird!
PICS 1 and 2. The Jaguar ACT. Modified by BAe for development and demonstration of Active Control Technology, the aircraft's flight controls were replaced with a 'Fly by Wire' system, and wing root extensions added.
PICS 3 and 4. Decidedly weird, the Meteor F8 Prone position research aircraft. This was used for research into a prone pilot position, the thinking at the time being the reduction in frontal area, allowing for less drag, and a prone position for the pilot, to reduce 'g' forces. A new cockpit was grafted on the front of the aircraft, although it was never flown solely by the prone pilot, there being a 'check' pilot in the standard cockpit. The project was dropped following the development of better flying clothing.
PICS 5 and 6. The Shorts SB5 came about due to differences of opinion between (then) English Electric and the A&AEE over the intended degree of sweep, and the location of the tail planes, for the projected supersonic interceptor which eventually became the Lightning. In 1952, Shorts were awarded the contract to build this test vehicle, which utilised three variations of swept wing, and two tail arrangements. The 'T' tail rear fuselage is displayed alongside the final configuration of the aircraft, with 'standard' tail geometry, and test flights proved English Electric's theory.
PICS 7 and 8. The next stage was the pre-Lightning prototype, the English Electric P1. This was Britain's first 'home grown' supersonic interceptor/fighter design, the first prototype achieving Mach 1.22 in level flight, whilst the second prototype achieved Mach 1.53 in 1954. Further development saw the first English Electric (later BAC) Lightning enter service in 1959, which was, and remained, Britain's only supersonic fighter designed and built solely in the UK.
PIC 9. The Avro 707c. This was a further, two-seat development of the Avro 707, designed for aerodynamic testing and familiarisation with delta wings, and provided invaluable data for the design and development of the Vulcan bomber. This version also tested a Fly by Wire system, as long ago as 1950.
PICS 10 and 11. Meteor T7, or, more correctly T7 and a half ! This aircraft was modified and used by Martin Baker for testing and trials of ejector seats. This particular aircraft carried out the very first, live, runway level ejection in 1955. (sorry, but I couldn't get a good, clear shot of this aircraft, due to people in the way!) Martin Baker still use a modified Meteor for seat testing.
PIC 12. Tucked in the corner of the hangar is this Jet Provost T3, which is normally open for access, where visitors can sit in the two-seat cockpit and play pilot! However, during our visit, it was closed, as a bunch of rather unruly Asian school kids were visiting on a school project - their teachers, when it came to discipline and control, were about as much use as a chocolate tea pot!
There are a few more to come from the 'Test Flight' hangar - I'm keeping the 'cream' 'til last - then it's on to the 'Cold War' exhibition, which I think you'll all enjoy.
Thanks again for the compliments, and I'll post more tomorrow.

Attachments

• Cosford 187.jpg
    Cosford 187.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Cosford 233.jpg
    Cosford 233.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Cosford 173.jpg
    Cosford 173.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 104
  • Cosford 220.jpg
    Cosford 220.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Cosford 180.jpg
    Cosford 180.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Cosford 199.jpg
    Cosford 199.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Cosford 192.jpg
    Cosford 192.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Cosford 190.jpg
    Cosford 190.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Cosford 227.jpg
    Cosford 227.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Cosford 229.jpg
    Cosford 229.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Cosford 182.jpg
    Cosford 182.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Cosford 191.jpg
    Cosford 191.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 106
Great pics Terry, and great that these aircraft have survived!

80 pound is alot... was much cheaper than that to fly Ryanair to Ireland last time I went. We'll sort something out anyway.

Yep, the 'cheap' flights have increased in price over the past year - probably due to rising fuel costs I guess.

Thanks very much guys, glad you're enjoying the tour. Glenn, there were only two of the Bristol Type 188 built, and this is the only survivor.
To conclude this part of the tour, here are the final pictures from the 'Test Flight' hangar.
PICS 1 to 6. What could have been, should have been, and probably still would be - TSR2.
The most advanced aircraft of it's time, murdered by the then current Government, this was to have been a very advanced Tactical, Strike and Reconnaissance aircraft. Eleven prototypes were built, with the first flight in September 1964. Once again, defence cuts saw the cancellation of the project, in a very advanced stage. Within days, all but two airframes were scrapped, and the jigs destroyed!
Today, only two remain, this one, and another at Duxford.
Thanks for your interest and kind comments - the next section will cover the impressive 'Cold War' exhibition.

Attachments

• Cosford 183.jpg
    Cosford 183.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Cosford 215.jpg
    Cosford 215.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 97
  • Cosford 223.jpg
    Cosford 223.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Cosford 222.jpg
    Cosford 222.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Cosford 225.jpg
    Cosford 225.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Cosford 226.jpg
    Cosford 226.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 100
One of the nicest looking aircraft ever built.
Don't blame defence cuts though Terry, it was politics and US economic pressure that killed the TSR-2. Would have kicked the F-111s ass.

Yeah, I was being polite Andy. It was the stupid, kow-towing b******s in Downing Street who messed it up, then cancelled the orders for the F-111. The TSR2 would probably still be in service today, up-graded of course, and was streets ahead of anything else at the time.

Agreed. Imagine the sensors, processing, extra payload or fuel etc that could have been accommodated by replacing the avionics with more modern, smaller, hardware. TSR.2 has been one of my favourites ever since first visiting Duxford on a family holiday as a lad. I've been fascinated by the aircraft ever since. Personally, I try not to think of the politics - it just makes me too angry!

Likewise mate.
Family relations had connections with her somehow, and gave my father a photo of XR219 on her maiden flight, and a certifcate of the occasion with names and signatures of the flight crew and press representatives. Both official documents in a standard format with black frames. (Appropriate colour considering...)

And yep Terry, have read she was considered "too advanced" for the era, so had she been introduced into service, no doubt she'd still be serving in one role or other.

The Cold War Exhibition.

This is a relatively recently opened permanent exhibition, displayed on multiple levels within a specially designed building.
Apart from the aircraft on display, some of which are presented in dramatic positions, there are also civilian vehicles, armoured vehicles, ordnance, and a number of separate displays and galleries. The Museum shop is also located inside this impressive building, along with a cafe.
The displays are extremely impressive, with many interactive exhibits, and can take at least two hours to cover in any worthwhile manner. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to view all of the areas of interest, but here are the first of a number of shots of the general aircraft displays - I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
PIC 1. The purpose designed building which houses the exhibition, itself an impressive structure.
PIC 2. The 'Iron Curtain' wall greets visitors in the entrance, and there are a number of displays covering the Cold War period, from the Berlin Airlift to the fall of the Berlin Wall.
PIC 3. The first thing visitors notice is the spacious, and dramatically lit, split level exhibition hall. There are raised viewing platforms and galleries, with stairs and lift access at various points.
PIC 4. Centurion, one of a number of NATO and Warpac armoured vehicles on display.
PIC 5. An impressive display of very large scale models of Soviet aircraft. Behind is a Buccaneer cockpit, with the tail of the Valiant jet bomber looming above.
PICS 6 to 9. The Vickers Valiant B1, first of the 'V Bombers', entering RAF service in 1955. Also seen in this set of pics are its nuclear load, and, beyond, under the wing, the Victor K2.
PIC 10. MiG 21PF.
PICS 11 and 12. Former Polish Air Force MiG 15bis.
Note how open the areas are around the exhibits, with very close access being allowed to most of the aircraft on display.
Thanks again for your interest and comments, and I'll post some more from this hall tomorrow.

Attachments

• Cosford 361.jpg
    Cosford 361.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Cosford 234.jpg
    Cosford 234.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Cosford 235.jpg
    Cosford 235.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Cosford 251.jpg
    Cosford 251.jpg