A Pictorial Tour of RAF Museum, Cosford.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Before moving on into the 'Test Flight' hangar, here are a couple of detail shots of the Me410 and the 'Dinah'. Located between the 'Warplanes' display and the 'Test Flight' hangar, is one of a number of model displays, and a small section is shown here.
PIC 1. Me410 port engine, with the lower cowling hinged down, undergoing inspection and maintenance.
PIC 2. An area not normally seen, a view up into the weapons bay of the Me410.
PICS 3 and 4. The rear cockpit of the Dinah, with a peek inside.
And then into the 'Model Room', where the models are nicely displayed and lit, in glass cases. Unfortunately, although viewing conditions are very good, photography is a little restricted due to the lighting and glass cases.
PICS 5 to 8. A rather nice, if somewhat compact, portrayal of a typical OTU or MU during the early part of WW2, in 1/72nd scale.
PICS 9 and 10. Some of the 1/48th scale models on display.
The 'Test Flight' display is through the doors into the adjoining hangar. Here are the first two shots of a very interesting exhibition of unique and rare aircraft, which have helped in aeronautical research over the past 60 years or so.
PICS 11 and 12. The Hunting H126 Experimental aircraft, here seen undergoing maintenance. This aircraft was used in the early 1950s for experiments in jet flap research.
Many thanks again for your interest and kind comments, and there are lots more pics to come.

Attachments

• Cosford 041.jpg
    Cosford 041.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Cosford 044.jpg
    Cosford 044.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Cosford 056.jpg
    Cosford 056.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Cosford 057.jpg
    Cosford 057.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Cosford 130.jpg
    Cosford 130.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 81
  • Cosford 129.jpg
    Cosford 129.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Cosford 132.jpg
    Cosford 132.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Cosford 133.jpg
    Cosford 133.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Cosford 136.jpg
    Cosford 136.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Cosford 140.jpg
    Cosford 140.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Cosford 154.jpg
    Cosford 154.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Cosford 159.jpg
    Cosford 159.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
You're more than welcome Aaron. I'm very happy to share these pics, even if just to show what's in our museums, for those who can't visit.

Great to see these, Terry. The close ups of the Dinah are neat! Always thought it was the sweetest looking machine. A lot smaller in the flesh.

Funding of the RAF Museum and its collection is largely by the Ministry of Defence (the taxpayer). Heritage Lottery funded the Grahame White hangar restoration and Millstones of Flight, but the Cold War hangar at Cosford was funded by a grant from the European government.

Great collection of models exquisitely made. One of the model makers at Hendon used to work for Airfix back in the day and built a lot of the models on display. Because of his smallish stature it was reckoned he modelled for the little 1/72 scale figures supplied with each Airfix kit - in scale!

Good ones Terry. And it shows why I chose not to open up the lower cowl on my 410! BTW, I do appreciate your detail pics and will resume my 410 when my spirits are right to retackle the wheel wells.

Thanks chaps, and glad to help Andy - let's face it, it got me up close and touchy feely with the Me410 !!

Thank you my friend. It was originally restored by RAF St. Athan, and mainly funded by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. All the aircraft have regular corrosion checks, and maintenance as required, and are in very good condition. Not sure about the Dinah, but the Me410 was restored to the point of the engines being able to run.
More pics to follow later tonight.

Thanks Hugh.
Moving around the Test Flight exhibition, there are a number 'one off' aircraft on display, each with its own unique story, charting the relatively rapid development of high speed, high altitude flight in the second half of the 20th century.
PICS 1 and 2. Saunders-Roe SR53. This fascinating aircraft was developed following a 1952 requirement for an interceptor which could rapidly reach high altitudes, and then loiter. It utilised a rocket motor to take off and climb rapidly, but also had an Armstong- Siddeley 'Viper' jet engine.
It's first flight wasn't until May 1957, when the SR53 attained Mach 2. However, being too small to carry the intended armament of air to air missiles, a larger version, the SR 177 was designed, but the project was cancelled before further development got underway. This was the last fixed wing aircraft built by Saunders Roe, who went on to develop rotary wing types and, of course, hovercraft. I vaugley remember building the Airfix kit of this in the late 1950s!
PICS 3 to 7. The impressive Bristol Type 188, a stainless steel aircraft, developed for heat investigation trials, it just failed to attain Mach 2, reaching Mach 1.88 in March 1962. There are features which are not unlike a later, well-known American aircraft, and the Type 188 had some similar problems - endurance was limited to 25 minutes, and it suffered from severe fuel leaks, due to heat expansion. These ultimately led to the cancellation of the project.
PICS 8 and 9. The lovely little Folland Gnat F1 (the waste bin in the picture gives scale to its diminutive size). Developed as a private venture, the Gnat was designed as a lightweight fighter. Although it had good performance and handling, and received favourable reports from the A&AEE, defence spending cuts prevented it entering RAF service. It was however, exported to Finland and India, with the latter country eventually producing their own version under licence. The basic design was used for the Gnat T1 trainer, which saw lengthy service with the RAF, and was the type with which the World-famous 'Red Arrows' aerobatic team was originally equipped.
PICS 10 and 11. The Fairey Delta FD2. A supersonic research aircraft from 1954, it broke the World Speed Record on 10 March 1958, when, flown by Peter Twiss, it attained 1,132 mph. The nose section and cockpit was hinged to 'droop' ten degrees for take off and landing, a feature which, of course, was later employed on Concorde.
The next post will feature some more Test Flight exhibits, before moving on to the stunning displays in the new National Cold War Exhibition.

Attachments

• Cosford 164.jpg
    Cosford 164.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Cosford 179.jpg
    Cosford 179.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Cosford 165.jpg
    Cosford 165.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Cosford 168.jpg
    Cosford 168.jpg