A Small Museum in My Neighborhood (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for your invitation Mike but Chicago is too far:)
I'm glad to hear such frank words.

Railroad worker's tools.
DSCN3678SS.jpg

DSCN3679S.jpg

PC050256S.jpg

Uniforms.

I think the ceremonial dagger and belt was basically the same one as the navy's.
DSCN3677S.jpg

DSCN3676S.jpg

Replica of the navy's for comparison.
Photo source unknown.

Attachments

• IJN.jpg
    IJN.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 112
Shipachi, the machine below the accounting machine plaque is an old IBM card puncher used to program the old computers. used to use one back at U of I '69 or '70. each card was one command in FORTRAN.
great old military stuff

Just spent an enjoyable half an hour looking at your pictures taken at this museum. That is a great set of shots and a very interesting museum, the sort you could spend a day in quite easily I should imagine. Many thanks for taking the time to share your visit with us. :thumbright:

Just spent an enjoyable half an hour looking at your pictures taken at this museum. That is a great set of shots and a very interesting museum, the sort you could spend a day in quite easily I should imagine. Many thanks for taking the time to share your visit with us. :thumbright:

Thanks, Gary.
I always admire your perfect English(I never say others are not. This is simply my frank impression at the moment) and really appreciate your so sincere compliments this time too.

Actually, as you guessed, I visited the museum twice to take pictures as many as possible with a week interval.

This was a good opportunity for me to understand well that the modern Japanese technology is a mixture of British, French, German and American above all since the mid 19th century.

Thank you very much again for enjoying my photos though a few more pics may be added in the future...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year:)

Last edited:
I have said Gary's English is perfect but this sounds strange because every native English speaker speaks perfect English.

Here is a historical background about the 'perfect English' in Japan.
For the Japanese men of the late 19th century, English gentleman was the most ideal model they ought to be and they were reciting the following words occasionally -

"English gentlemen are philanthropists, assisting the weak and striking down the strong. They detest all unfairness and fight for justice, while showing great respect for the law."

You can check how they felt about the English gentleman in a Japanese TV drama
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUX7LzWcKW4.

I felt so traditional Englsih gentleman's spirit from his comments that I had said 'perfect' though my English is never never perfect yet yet:|

Thank you very much for reading my complicatable explanation anyway, you all gentlemen!

Attachments

• English gentleman.JPG
    English gentleman.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 90
Behind Space Battleship Yamato, I see what looks like two sister ships. Could they be named Musashi and Shinano?

- Ivan.

P.S. I live fairly near the National Air Space Museum (Udvar Hazy) by Dulles Airport and visit from time to time. I also work within walking distance of the NASM in Washington DC. Let me know if you folks need specific pictures, though I don't promise a particular response time.

Behind Space Battleship Yamato, I see what looks like two sister ships. Could they be named Musashi and Shinano?

- Ivan.

P.S. I live fairly near the National Air Space Museum (Udvar Hazy) by Dulles Airport and visit from time to time. I also work within walking distance of the NASM in Washington DC. Let me know if you folks need specific pictures, though I don't promise a particular response time.

That's correct, Ivan!
I intended Musashi and Shinano:)

And -
Thanks for your kind offer for taking photos in NASM.
There is one thing which I have long been wondering and this may be a good opportunity for me to ask you and other members a little help about J7W1 Shinden - a Japanese experimental fighter.

On August 15, 1945 when Japan was defeated, her technical data along with all blueprints were destroyed by the engineers of Kyusyu Aircraft who developed Shinden but they were requested by the US intelligence to reproduce the detailed drawings a few months later. They did it and those newly made drawings were brought back to US. This information is based on testimony by a former Kyusyu engineer.

Several decades later, some of our local researchers tried to find them in the US but there was no clue where they had gone but the airframe left in NASM.

Yes, I am interested in J7W1 Shinden and, if possible, the remade drawings.
Any assisstance to find them would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Here is a historical background about the 'perfect English' in Japan.
For the Japanese men of the late 19th century, English gentleman was the most ideal model they ought to be and they were reciting the following words occasionally -

"English gentlemen are philanthropists, assisting the weak and striking down the strong. They detest all unfairness and fight for justice, while showing great respect for the law."

If only. :D

Sadly, as an Englishman, I can only say our history has not been exactly exemplary. Any nation that has become an "empire" has done so at the cost of others. Suffice to say that I have written this after watching a DVD on my Toshiba DVD player on my Toshiba widescreen TV on my Toshiba laptop!

Technology could be the key to world harmony? :)

If only. :D

Sadly, as an Englishman, I can only say our history has not been exactly exemplary. Any nation that has become an "empire" has done so at the cost of others. Suffice to say that I have written this after watching a DVD on my Toshiba DVD player on my Toshiba widescreen TV on my Toshiba laptop!

Technology could be the key to world harmony? :)

Technology, morality with fairness and wisdom that English gentlemen own would be the key to it I believe.

I have provided full video clip of the scene for you, Paul.
Thank you very much for your so thoughtful words.
They are perfect too!

Video clip from NHK's "Clouds over the Hill(Way to Russo-Japanese War)"

Attachments

• Video_clip_English_gentlemen.wmv
    18.6 MB · Views: 59
  • Video_clip_English_gentlemen.wmv_000286033.jpg
    Video_clip_English_gentlemen.wmv_000286033.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Off-topic again with my apology but this is a good chance to introduce the young guy in the drama, Saneyuki Akiyama(1868-1918 ), later Viceadmiral of IJN.

He studied abroad in US and stayed in UK as an officer around 1900.
Akiyama took command of strategy in the Russo-Japanese War in 1904.

Attached video clip shows a scene of meeting with retired captain Alfred Thayer Maham who was called a God of strategy then. That was one of his most impressive meetings in Akiyama's life.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Meeting_Maham(Clouds_over_t_hill).wmv
    12.8 MB · Views: 53
  • Meeting_Maham(Clouds_over_t_hill).wmv_000014099.jpg
    Meeting_Maham(Clouds_over_t_hill).wmv_000014099.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 84
Sorry guys again.
I will end my off-topic with this video clip as I believe the Japanese viewpoint for the western nations of the late 19th century could be briefly understood with the last two and this final clip.

Elder brother of Mr. Saneyuki Akiyama was an IJA officer.
He was educated by a German instructor, K.W.J.Meckel who was also called a God of strategy at the time.

The video clip from the drama attached here has English translation which I superimposed taking two days. Hope you to enjoy.
Thanks!

Attachments

• K.W.J.Meckel.wmv
    13.4 MB · Views: 90
  • Meckel.wmv_000274666.JPG
    Meckel.wmv_000274666.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 85
Thanks Gnomey and David!

Wikipedia says it was built in the U.S in 1880 and imported to Japan.
Named Yoshitsune in honor of a famous Japanese samurai of the Middle Ages, it greatly contributed to development of the northern island of Hokkaido..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back