A380 hard landing at OshKosh

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seems to me the commentators are being a little dishonest? There was obvious crosswind and the aircraft executed a classic "crab-landing". Pilots seem to have overcompensated a bit but I see nothing inherently wrong with the way the aircraft design reacted as those two commentors seem to want to suggest, but instead taking stress rather well. I'm not saying the landing was a bit on the rough side, but I'm interested to know what the length of that runway is...perhaps the pilots felt it was near the minimum length for an aircraft of those huge specifications that it justified putting her down ASAP?

Last edited:
Seems to me the commentators are being a little dishonest? There was obvious crosswind and the aircraft executed a classic "crab-landing". Pilots seem to have overcompensated a bit but I see nothing inherently wrong with the way the aircraft design reacted as those two commentors seem to want to suggest, but instead taking stress rather well. I'm not saying the landing was a bit on the rough side, but I'm interested to know what the length of that runway is...perhaps the pilots felt it was near the minimum length for an aircraft of those huge specifications that it justified putting her down ASAP?
Sorry but those commentators called it as they saw it. That was a hard landing and I'd like to see what the main bogeys look like. I'd bet the FAA is all over that aircraft and will not let it move until the crew there completes a hard landing inspection or until they could show that the aircraft sustained no damage.

The runway length would have nothing to do with that landing. The pilot was not stabilized directionally and you saw the end result. I also read he was attempting to do short field landing.

Last edited:
Sorry but those commentators called it as they saw it.

I like to know just how much "a little bit of crosswind" is required to push a massive A-380 into a slideslip like that. There's obviously a good deal of wind there. Like I said, I don't think the pilots did the best of jobs by a long shot, but I'm also saying the commentors couldn't resist being a little over critical.

"millions of people to watch" ....at Oshkosh??? 8)

I like to know just how much "a little bit of crosswind" is required to push a massive A-380 into a slideslip like that. There's obviously a good deal of wind there. Like I said, I don't think the pilots did the best of jobs by a long shot, but I'm also saying the commentors couldn't resist being a little over critical.

"millions of people to watch" ....at Oshkosh??? 8)

Well I'll tell you - I've seen and then done hard landing inspections on a number of aircraft, none the size of the A380 of course but I could tell you that made me cringe. With that said, while at Oshkosh, the world is watching you (yes, millions of people) and I would have expected better from that crew and those commentators are probably reflecting the same feeling. Even if there was no damage to the aircraft, it looked bad. I do hope Airbus has that crew flying home as they speak.

Crab landing is one thing, but you are supposed to straighten out before you hit the runway. If you watch closely, it sure looks like the power was cut too soon. Look at the last few feet of the descent. It was a reasonably good recovery from a PIO, but with an airplane that size, at an airshow that size, it could have been a disaster.

Wow...hard enough for two cycles on the wing flex even...

I don't see how the commentators would be "blowing it out of proportion", as the one was qualified on a 777 and would be able to comment on that landing from a heavy pilot's POV.

Good job it wasnt a 787 Nightmareliner landing with such a thump. If the 787 ever gets off the ground Boeing executives will probably have there fingers permanently crossed that the stress relieving stringer cutouts and titanium patches never have to deal with such loads.

This is how to do a crosswind landing in a 380

Airbus A380 crosswind landing

Last edited:
What does PIO mean?

I know next to nothing about civil airliners but that big bird does NOT look cross-wind friendly, it looks slab-sided and that massive tail must catch a cross-wind like a big sail.

Apu Nahasamapetilon says it is "Person of Indian Origin".
Ah, the good old days, when acromins didn't plague our lives...

Now seriously, is it "Pilot Induced Oscillation"?

And could there have been some kind of downdraft on the last moments?

Well, ive been doing some reading and I dont think this was a hard landing as some think. One, we have to realize the actual size of this aircraft and the runway they were trying to put it down on. The plane has a 261 foot wing span and at max weight weighs 562 tons. At landing weight it weighs 386 tons. The wheel base is 99 feet 8 inches.

The aircraft's landing on runway 36, which is 8,000 ft long, was made significantly more challenging as there is only one taxiway able to accommodate the A380 5,500 ft down the runway. Adding to the difficulty of the landing was a perpendicular (270 degrees) 14-knot crosswind gusting to 23 knots at the time of touchdown.

One assumes the crew was managing:

1. Very light aircraft
2. Flight as slow as possible
3. A variable and gusty cross wind (20kts is more than fun)

Like that second correction after touch down. Maybe the rudder authority beginning to fade a bit by then so a bit of diff braking to straighten up? What is worth noting is NO bounce so speed/energy management was spot on. Looked like a crew on top of their game. So I give props for a job well done.

here is a video of the flying display the plane did before landing, also includes the landing.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flightblogger/2009/07/video-challenging-crosswind-gr.html

Last edited:
So thats what I felt the other day !!!!!:lol:..."Did the Earth move for you too darling ?"...."Nope, just an Airbus landing !".

IIRC Pilot Induced Oscillation = A bit like watching WW2 jocks having to change hands on take off to raise the undercart, or fogetiing to tighten the throttle friction screw....gets a bit frantic changing hands in the busiest part of the flight and normally incudes an amount of 'stick' wiggle.

If the runway was too short, do you think they are going to risk their latest airliner on it?

Again, the size of the runway had little to do with it. The aircraft was not directionally stabilized before it hit the ground. One of those commentators is a qualified airline pilot who called it from a well-qualified point of view.

Every qualified pilot that I have shown that to doesn't think that the crew was on top of their game. Several of my buddies, some of whom fly airliners for a living stated "CHOKE".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back