A6M5 Model 52 Zero

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Biff,

You're welcome to come out any time. It's a LONG commute from Florida! ... but maybe you can make it to our airshow in early May. Check the events calendar at the Planes of Fame website. Love to see you there.

We don't yet know this year's theme yet, but you can rest assured we'll have 27 - 35 WWII planes in the air with at least one in an aerobatic display, probably by Steve Hinton and maybe another one doing some high energy maneuvers. too. We're working hard now to ensure our Zero is back flying by then.

C'mon out any time. Saturdays are better, but the museum is open every day.

Last edited:
GregP,

Thanks for the offer and if I'm ever able to get out there I will definately let you know! I have a few years to retire then will look at the airline thing so I will keep your offer in mind.

I watched a YouTube video the other day and the gentleman narrating it (last name of Barber), who was actively flying a Zero made some comments about the only plane that could come close to turning with a Zero was a F8F. Question: Was the F8F that maneuverable of an aircraft?

Cheers,
Biff

Went to the airshow once and believe me it is the place to be if you love old military aircraft. I saw planes fly I thought I would never see. Also, I visited with Greg and he showed me around the museum and where they were doing all the work. I have been in the military aircraft business for about 35 years, both flying and building some of the most exciting aircraft at the time, and, still those experiences at Chino rank right up there at the top.

Thanks for the kind words, Dave, and you're welcome back anytime. We'd like to see you again. The Mitsubishi zero is being overhauled, as you can see in this post, but you might want to come see it broken down and being overhauled. It's probably the only time you'll be able to do so.

At this time, I'm helping with recovering the control surfaces with fabric, just to have some exposure to the fabric process. I figured it would be like covering an RC aircraft and, except for rib-stitiching, it is very close to that. It seems you don;t want to cut the fabric envelope like you do with an RC aircraft. Other than that, it is VERY similar. I don't feel quite like a rookie at fabric since I put in 15+ years in RC building and flying ... but I AM a rookie at fabric.

As for the Bearcat, according to Steve Hinton, it is VERY maneuverable. He didn't contrast it directly with the Zero, but he owns a P-51D and his second aircraft, now in sort of a delayed overhaul status, is ... you guessed it, a Bearcat. I say delayed because the paying aircraft restorations always come first ... and they are finishing up a Tigercat at this time.

From his descriptions, the Bearcat is an A-ticket ride and soundly trounces most other piston fighters in a one-on-one situation. Not that one-on-ones happened all that often, but he really loves the Bearcat. That does not seem to detract from his love for almost all WWII fighters, though. He had good things to say about most fighters ...

Here is the Bf 109 landing gear (Ha.1112). You can see the casting is the only thing that would have had to change to FIX it. Make the gear vertical and the issue would go away.

Bf109_Drag_Link.jpg

Here's how they align the gear.

Bf109_Gear_Adkuster.jpg

You twist the shaft one way or the other to align it like a turnbuckle.

Here's the bottom right corner of the cockpit showing the gear bracket from the cockpit. It is a BITCH to get it installed. Probably easy when it is being built, but when the plane is fully assembled, you have to dive into the cockpit head first and your "friends" don't want to pull you out backwards ... they just laugh at you ...

Bf109_Gear_Backing_Bracket.jpg

On our YP-59A here is the sliding canopy we made in 2.5 years of volunteer Saturdays. I dare anyone to make it faster! And it has to FIT!

IMG_0165.JPG

All for this one.

Last edited:
Here is a piece of trailing edge we made from scratch for our North American O-47.

IMG_0179.JPG

My partner on this was John Peterson. Good guy and a damned perfectionist (thankfully). We did it right after 3 attemps died abourning.

Here is where it goes.

IMG_0180.JPG

Here is our design for the YP-59A canopy hold down.

P59_Canopy_Hold_Down.jpg

We made it out of F7F Tigercat hold downs and some 20 hours on an end mill with aluminum stock.

All for now,

Here is the Bf 109 landing gear (Ha.1112). You can see the casting is the only thing that would have had to change to FIX it. Make the gear vertical and the issue would go away.

Here's how they align the gear.

View attachment 253986

You twist the shaft one way or the other to align it like a turnbuckle.

Here's the bottom right corner of the cockpit showing the gear bracket from the cockpit. It is a BITCH to get it installed. Probably easy when it is being built, but when the plane is fully assembled, you have to dive into the cockpit head first and your "friends" don't want to pull you out backwards ... they just laugh at you ...

I think it is not possible to make the legs straight vertical because the resulting track width would be around 110 cm instead of around 210cm with the original gear. I'm sure the construction engineers thought about that but finally decided to make the legs as they are as the better solution.
cimmex

GregP,

Thanks for the shots, they are excellent!

What happened to the original canopy / system (lost in space)? Also, is it just me or is the cockpit on the P-59 fairly short front to back? It looks like it would be crowed if he were wearing a parachute...

Cheers,
Biff

Hi Cimmex,

What I meant was for the casting (or forging) that holds the axle to be arranged so the wheel is vertical while the gear leg remains as-is, not really a change in alignment left and right. Of course, several things were tried including making a Bf 109 with inward-retracting gear. Here is a pic of it.

Me109_Inward_Gear.jpg

I think Willy Messerswchmitt was a very good designer and, if the fix were simple, he probably would have done it at some point. I am surmising it wasn't a simple fix. By the way, I found this shot on the internet, but it had no variant identification. I hope it isn't photoshopped!

Update: I I found it on the web identified as the Me-109 V31 with belly radiator and wide undercarriage as a test aircraft for the Me-309.

Hi Biff,

The cockpit might LOOK small, but it is plenty big enough, believe me. It is probably the angle. Maybe I'll get a shot this weekend with me or somebody else in the cockpit for scale. As for the original caopy, it is probably a skylight somewhere, we don't know, but it didn't arrive with the airframe. While it was a pain, we learned a lot making a new one!

Last edited:
I was asked for an update in here, so ... here goes. You all saw the condition it was in, but it is being overhauled, so the condition gets worse-looking before it gets better. You have to strip the interior COMPLETELY and start from there. I managed to get a good shot that the public could get if they wanted, so I can post it here. Once the rear fuselage is off, you can get a very unusual shot from what ordinarily would be inside the rear fuselage, but you are standing outside since the rear fuselage is removed.

View attachment 253119

You have to turn it 90° to the left to get a good view, but you can do that, I'm sure. Once the stripping begins, the interior starts to look like this.

View attachment 253120

The light rust on the steel is because we cleaned it with high pressure steam and water and it is "flash rust." When we get it done, we wipe off the surface rust from the steel and use a rust-converter primer that turns the light rust remaining into a protective coating in which the corrosion has been halted. It works great.

Here is the Nakajima Sakae 21 enginer and Mitsubishi propeller (actually built by Sumitomo).

View attachment 253121

Can't see much because it is still wrapped in shrink wrap, but you get the idea. Probably time for next post due to pic size.

Here are a few pictures I took in October 2012 of the Zero engine before it was shipped to Japan.
(Even though the engine is shrink wrapped in Greg's picture I don't think it's changed much since I took the pictures. 8) )

101_2101.JPG

101_2102.JPG

101_2103.JPG

101_2104.JPG

101_2105.JPG

101_2106.JPG

Wheels

Thanks Brian! Nice pics!

I have some somewhere, but can't find them just now. This should give the Japanese engine fan guys a good look at a Sakae 21 and Sumitomo propeller. It has been VERY reliable and almost bulletproof over the years. A great engine even if not among the higher horsepower units.

Reliability is one of those things that is priceless.

I've always thought the engine stand should be about 6 inches taller ...

See you tomorrow at the volunteer meeting! 1 more weekend of fabric and it's back to sheet metal. If you weld up those Adel pliers tomorrow, I have a Vice Grip that is begging for modification ...

Last edited:
Some lovely rare shots of the Zero and other aeronautical parts Greg, much appreciated :) , may the restorations continue to progress in such an environment of excellent efforts reflecting the skill and labour of semi-recreational love from those involved.

May I ask, not meaning to be thought of as rude..;
What engine work was carried out upon the Sakai in Japan, and /or was part of the deal they can study it close up too, so to fill in some gaps of missing/damaged engine plans perhaps?

What's interesting to me is what you can see in the background of your photos.

What that biplane with the 4 bladed propeller, in your last photo ?

Correct, an AN-2. It flew in our airshow for YEARS, but was never in much demand, so it sort of went to pot and has been sold, but the buyer has yet to pick it up.

I wish I could tell you about the deal, but that was some 39 years ago and I don't know. Nakajima (Fuji Heavy Industries today) --- they sell you Subarus ... restored or helped restore two engines for us. One is this engine and the other is complete but in pieces. If it breaks at an airshow, we have to be able to fix it and fly it home. It is almost prohibitevly expensive to dismantle it and ship it home. We do that when it goes to Japan since THEY pay for it both ways. It takes 4 guys 4 days to dismantle OR reassemble it. Add the cost of a truck and things get expensive very quickly. Much better to fix it and fly it home.

Mitsubishi helped with the airframe, but I am not aware of the type of help ... might be parts and might be money ... or both, I can't say and the Museum isn't in the habit of handing out those details to anyone. It's what you call insider information. Have some nice shots from today and will get them posted tomorrow.

- Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back