About model building ranks...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Beginners and Casual Long Time Builders (CLTB) grab a beer and unite. Together we can other throw the repressive judges...:). I have a good time in the GBs. Just take a look at my first GB, the famous blue B-17 from the Pacific GB and my GO 242 from my 2nd GB, Big improvement and all a result of help from the group. Have fun and enjoy the build.

DBII

Andy (Crimea River) has described exactly what is looked at, and it's as simple as that - not that the judging is simple!
The decision on which Category to enter is purely down to the entrant, although if we judges feel an individual should consider moving up to the next Category, we may suggest it. But the final decision is still with the entrant, we can not, and will not, automatically move an entrant's category.
A little tip to perhaps improve, or build on skills (pun not intended!) is to look at the four areas, described by Andy, used in judging, and treat these as individual stages of the build. Attention to detail in the construction stage - that is, alignment of parts, seams and joints etc, not extra detail added - sets the measure for the rest of the build.
The application of paint to the best of the individual's ability takes things to the next stage, etc etc.
All of these contribute to the final appearance and visual appeal of the finished model.
It's pointless having the most detailed cockpit, right down to a tiny map in a wallet, if the overall finished model looks like it's been painted with a trowel, over lumps, bumps and visible seams, and the decals are all wrinkled and mis-aligned, for example.
Hope this helps.

Well said Terry, and I'd like to point out that there are some truly excellent results that can be achieved using hairy sticks as opposed to air brushes. A nicely brush painted model will earn better marks than a poorly airbrushed one, at least in my books.

Of course. There is nothing worse like a model with all seams seen. About a bad geometry of a model I don't mention at all. ;)

Getting all the seams to allign on a plastic model is the impossible dream so somewhere along the line out comes the filler putty and the sanding and the refilling and the resanding. it's a PIA but is surely pays-off in the looks of the final model. The second thing for me was learning to use an airbrush. I can't brush worth a da*n so airbrushing was a godsend. next came simple detailing tips supplied by forum members like using a pencil to outline panel lines. Next came using Finish to give a smooth surface for the decals and (another godsend) learning about Microsol to make the decal conform to panel-lines, rivets, etc. Lastly the final coat, on military models I use a 50-50 flat clear acrylic and Future.
The look of my models has improved 1000% and it is all due to very, very patient forum members who held my hand through the entire process

And God knows, holding the hand of someone with one of them things on his teeth...

Ditto from me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back