Calling all Modellers!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
No doubt you will have noticed that a form of Group Build 'competition' is about to start, as of January 1st., under the heading 'Unternehmen Flugbrucke' (Operation Airbridge).
The title of this endeavour was deliberately chosen to represent the way in which modelling, by forum members across the World, will be forming a bridge between like minded people, an 'air bridge', and bringing those people together in a single aim. That aim is to produce a model, in any or all of the four most popular scales, that will be representative of Luftwaffe aircraft in Defence of the Reich, from late 1943 until VE Day, May 1945.
Not only will models be produced, but each one will represent a little piece of history. It may be that a modeller uses a particular kit, and adds decals from other sources; perhaps 'detailing kits' will also be used, or maybe the model will be built 'as it comes' - straight out of the box. Whichever or whatever the choice, this looks like being an enjoyable and fun 'excursion', where not only will we all see some nice models, but we should ALL also learn something. This new knowledge may be in the form of information and data gleaned from research, your own or others', or by picking up tips on building, detailing or painting. Whatever is learned, it will all add to the knowledge being amassed, and that can't be bad!
So far, 7 members have registered entries, some with one model, some with the maximum of 4 allowed.
Now 7 is a good starting point, especially in so short a time since the idea was first promulgated, but there are more than 7 modellers out there who regularly contibute to these threads.
If you feel that, perhaps, your efforts may not be 'up to standard', then DON'T!
The whole idea of this exercise, apart from actually building models, is to ENCOURAGE modellers, whatever their skill level, and particularly those that consider themselves BEGINNERS.
So, come on, let's see a few more entries.
The 'competition' doesn't close until May 7 2009, so there are four full months in which to get something together.
Need help in choosing a subject, finding a colour scheme or whatever?
Well, there is plenty of help available from the members here, who are only too happy to assist.
Not a forum member?
Well, it's a good excuse to join then, isn't it?!
I look forward to hearing of your entry ideas soon.
Happy modelling (or modeling!).
Terry.

Hear, hear!!! Great words Terry!!

And for those on the fence, its been 30 years since I've won any model contest, I don't use airbrush, I wear glasses in poor light and I still entered in Cat 2 Intermediate. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Because its for FUN!!!

:)

Well put Terry, old sausage! 20+ years absence for me from the modelbuilding business. I look forward to this "thingy"....who knows, maybe some new undiscovered info will pop up! 8) :D Just gonna check to see if I need to add any more Vallejo paints to my shoppinglist for these birds....and decals.

I think I paint better with a brush than a airbrush(so in other words just about anyone who enters won't build the worst model...That place is reserved for me)

Great words Terry ,very much so agree!

Hopefully this will be the 1st of many group builds. Can I suggest the theme for a 2nd when this 1st one is finished? North Africa, I love the desert schemes. 8)

Good luck guys for those that are partcipating. I know exactly nothing about modeling. If some way I can help let me know and will try and find something.

Best of Luck to all the participants!!!!!
Paul

And I have a few Corsairs and a Dauntless....gives me a reason to build some USS Yorktown CV-5 and/or -10 birds if it's later in the war. 8) North Africa sounds interesting too, why not make it a Med. GB....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back