Allied aircraft with AEAF stripes, D-Day and beyond.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Here's a short(ish) list of allied aircraft known to have displayed AEAF stripes on D-Day and immediately after. In PDF form for ease of access, this is by no means an exhaustive list, and there will be numerous other aircraft types which had the stripes at sometime.
Full 'sets' of stripes were carried initially, with the upper-surface stripes being removed from about late July 1944 in most cases, culminating in only the under fuselage stripes being in evidence up until the end of the year. Virtually all aircraft had the stripes removed, or painted over, by mid January 1945, although there were, of course, exceptions.
I hope this helps, and provides some ideas for some interesting models.

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - Document1.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 243
Yep. I think I included them with a note as glider tugs. They were also used to drop para pathfinders from British Airborne, the first to land in Normandy.

We have a nice mix of planes for this GB. I was looking over Terry's list and saw a Hurricane. I did not remember seeing a Hurricane in srtipes before and starting searching the web for photos. The only information that I found was a unit hack for 137 Sqdn had stripes and a couple assigned to the 2nd TAF and 83 OTU had the stripes. These were Hurricane Mk IIs. Has anyone run across one of these rare birds. I liftes this link from another website

Hawker Hurricane and D Day - Britmodeller.com

I think I've got one pic of a Hurricane with stripes, used for delivering documents and mail i believe. I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks a lot, i need a list like this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back