Academy 1/72 B-17E "Old 666" 43rd Bomb Group 1943

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just a quick note Dirk. On the B17E and early B17F, the radio room gun mount was on a (rather cumbersome) circular mount - basically a metal tube ring, with a semi- rigid feed chute and ammo box fixed on the starboard wall, unlike the mount in your posted pics. However, with two guns mounted, it's more than likely that a 'custom made' mount was fabricated.

I've seen that setup someplace but have been unable to find it but in this case the mount was a custom field job done completely outside the Boeing realm so I'm comfortable making it like in the photos posted. Do you have any photos of that mount?

Yep, I should have somewhere. But as you say, it's unlikely to have been used for a twin-gun installation. I'll post the pics when I find them, very soon.

Damn, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I went to install the landing light lenses and lo-wen behold they are missing. I'm thinking this isn't something I can fix with Micro kristal Klear

I have only just discovered this thread and after reading through it and Dirk I take my hat off to you Sir, such perseverance. Keep up the good work.

Also love the story of the real aircraft.

I've been initiated with real world stuff so the modeling has been pushed to the side for a bit. Here is a little more work I got done on Old 666

A little bit of landing gear repair is in order.

Superchargers get their first bit of rust

Toned down with some steel

Superchargers in place. I think I need to tone them down a little bit more.

Resin wheels to spruce it up a bit

Resin wheel vs kit wheel

Our little girl is growing up. This is here for the first time on all threes (Wheels that is ) There is still a lot of touch ups and fiddly work to be done.

Thanks for looking.

Great build! Love the story behind the real bird. I hope dogfights portrayed it correctly...

I know it's too late in the game, but next time might I recommend skipping the styrene to make the ribs and stringers and use a product manufactured by CHARTPAK called either zip-a-line or form-a-line. Basically it's rolls of tape cut into various tiny widths. It's used by graphic artists to make lines on...well...graphs and stuff. I use white, which I would imagine would also limit the amount of drybrushing needed to bring out it's detail when contrasted to the darker model styrene, but I understand it comes in many colors. One of the abvantages is that it's tape. If you put it in the wrong place just lift and re-apply...even over prepainted surfaces! After you have it just where you want it, just over paint it and it's sealed in place. And you get no liquid glue marks adjacent to each rib and stringer. Cuts easy also. Try it out next time and thank me later!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread