According to and annoying Hollywood myths....when are they going to learn?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Generally? People expending hundreds of rounds of ammunition and no one gets hurt and fights where people are beaten about the head in ways that would probably kill them but they don't even fall over :)
Steve

Stona, Hollywood is not even close.
In Vietnam, armed with full auto M16s average number of shots fired per kill was 50,000 adding in other ordinance roughy $127,000 per kill.
As for large ordinance take Khe Sahn: Over 100,000 tons of bombs were dropped until mid April by aircraft of the U.S. Air Force, Navy, and Marines. This was roughly 1,300 tons of bombs dropped daily–five tons for every one of the 20,000 NVA soldiers initially estimated to have been committed to the fighting. In addition, 158,000 large-caliber shells were delivered on the hills surrounding the base. Munitions delivered by artillery totaled eight shells per NVA soldier believed to have been on the battlefield.
The GAO estimates that in Iraq/Afghanistan 250,000 rounds per insurgent killed or 1.8 billion rounds per year

Yeah, they get shot by the guy who's literally flinging the bullets out of the barrel of his pistol...

Some of those old Westerns used to crack me up...

*if* they were actually firing rounds from their 19-shooters, they'd be hitting the ceiling, the floor, their foot, someone else's foot, the side of the building up the street, a horse tied up out front of the building up the street or launching the rounds into the air.

Much to my surprise, people were actually being portrayed as getting shot...

Stona, Hollywood is not even close.
In Vietnam, armed with full auto M16s average number of shots fired per kill was 50,000 adding in other ordinance roughy $127,000 per kill.
As for large ordinance take Khe Sahn: Over 100,000 tons of bombs were dropped until mid April by aircraft of the U.S. Air Force, Navy, and Marines. This was roughly 1,300 tons of bombs dropped daily–five tons for every one of the 20,000 NVA soldiers initially estimated to have been committed to the fighting. In addition, 158,000 large-caliber shells were delivered on the hills surrounding the base. Munitions delivered by artillery totaled eight shells per NVA soldier believed to have been on the battlefield.
The GAO estimates that in Iraq/Afghanistan 250,000 rounds per insurgent killed or 1.8 billion rounds per year

I'm not talking war movies, I mean the sort of gunfights that take place in someone's front room, laboratory, whatever. The participants are rarely more than 30' apart, not several hundred yards, neither are they dispersed, dug in or otherwise protected.

Having said that, take a look at 'where Eagles Dare'. I'm convinced that the German commander protecting the castle had made the heinous mistake of issuing all his troops with blank ammunition :)

Cheers

Steve

Hero gets shot in the-insert body part here-and everything is normal by the end of the movie. Buddy was shot by a 30/30 at close range, small entry wound in the front, fist sized chunk missing from his back, also missing the ribs surrounding the exit wound.

Geo

Apart from the idiotic firearms, how about people who get beaten or knocked unconscious, only to recover minutes/hours later without any ill effects, concussion etc. Generally injuries are trivialised. I was watching something recently (a Swedish cop show) in which a chap with a broken ankle had dispensed with his crutches and was more or less jogging 24 hours later :)

Stunts that defy the laws of physics get my goat too.

Steve

Using couches or simple wooden tables as cover in a gunfight. Now when bullets do penetrate the baddies are always shooting high enough for our hero to crawl to safety while the bullets swiss cheese everything above him. Those 100yd pistol kill shots. The old westerns where the Good Guy only shoots Bad Guys in the hand!! The propane tank that explodes when hit by a bullet. Running/jumping away from an explosion - as long as you are moving, the explosion can't catch you - right!
Historical inaccuracies by the thousands. The 300 Spartans - Leonidas lead over 7,000 men to block the pass at Thermopylae, men from all the Greek city-states. They blocked the pass for 7 days battling for only three. On the second day of battle scouts posted by Leonidas reported that his force of 7,000 was being flanked by the Persians following a goat-path around the mountain. Leonidas dismissed most of his force but stayed behind. The third day of battle was a rear-guard action fought by Leonidas and his 300 Spartans ALONG WITH: 700 Thespians, 400 Thebans, and about 100 other troups. I missed those 1200 in the movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back