According to and annoying Hollywood myths....when are they going to learn?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FB on that I think we are of the same mind, F for freddy did 213 missions surely it deserved a rest. In fact its part of the human psyche. Enola Gaye has only a few hours of service but no chance of her ever taking to the sky again.

Hey I liked Pearl Harbor for what it was... Can you deny that you got goose bumps when the Japanese planes first revealed themselves? Jon Voight as FDR. Dan Aykroyd as the code breaker? The tension. Look, all I'm saying is it had it's moments.

Your lucky I don't had moderator rights!!!! I'd ban you, your children, your pets, co-workers, etc...;)

Depends on what they're being shot with... :lol:

The flinging body is more for audience impact than reality, though. The opposite holds true in old movies or TV westerns, where the victim gets drilled with a Colt or Winchester and stands there, holding some spot on their chest, then slowly falls forward. I've actually seen that same type of posture in some war movies.

Then again, that was back in the old days, where gore wasn't even considered.

Generically, the hero gets bashed in the head, gets knocked out, and is up and at 'em seconds later. Having had a concussion, it would probably be minutes before he could quite figure out how to get his eyes to focus. And the headache wasn't much fun, either. (I went over the handlebars at 25 mph, landed on my thankfully-helmeted head, and got a concussion even though I was wearing a good helmet. No helmet, I'd probably have gotten a depressed skull fracture, a TBI, and be trying to figure out how to use a spoon).

People who get shot and still function. I know this can happen, but unless the shootee is very lucky, he or she will bleed out pretty quickly.

I won't get into the whole historical inaccuracy thing, but some things that never show up in movies is that on its way back from Gettysburg, Lee's army kidnapped free blacks, the AVG wasn't active before Pearl Harbor (although US mercenaries were there), and pretty much the entire Second World War in China, British India, and anyplace before 7 Dec 1941, German submarines active off the US east coast, the rather genocidal nature of the Indian Wars, ....

I won't go into the entire black hole of US history as taught in schools, where everything between about 1620 and the French Indian Wars (part of the much larger, and totally ignored in pre-college US history books, Seven Years' War) is ignored, the infighting between the various Founding Fathers, the sectional problems that probably started in the Adams administration, ......

Movies are and have always been "Escapeism". One does not need movies to experience "real life". So movies provide a similacrum of the real reality, sanitized for your viewing pleasure. Even somewhat realistic movies leave out "smell". Ever smelt a battlefield? Crispy Critters?
And History itself, how real do you think it actually is?

Movies are and have always been "Escapeism". One does not need movies to experience "real life". So movies provide a similacrum of the real reality, sanitized for your viewing pleasure. Even somewhat realistic movies leave out "smell". Ever smelt a battlefield? Crispy Critters?
And History itself, how real do you think it actually is?
Good point, Mike...smell is one thing that would drive the audience out of the theater.
Smell of death, burning machines (with the associated hot steel, burning oil/fuel, burning paint, burning occupants), clouds of cordite, churned earth and more...

They are working on olfactory cards for computers, I am serious. They were recently testing an addon with app for the iPhone that emitted the smell of brewing coffee that was activated by setting the wake-up alarm and it seems as though it worked well.

There are some things that Hollywood should leave alone. This is one of them.

What annoys me with Hollywood.

Lets see...

1. The PC bullshit. You don't have to have a minority in every fricken movie! If Hollywood makes a movie about the Vikings in Iceland, they will somehow have a black warrior fighting along side them. Sorry but its not necessary. You don't have to please everyone, and its not racist to leave out a minority. Especially in a historically acurate movie.

2. Hollywoods way of not telling the truth, and to change historical accuracy just to sell tickets. The Red Tails is a prime example. So is Pearl Harbor.

3. Tom Cruise...

What annoys me with Hollywood.

Lets see...

1. The PC bullshit. You don't have to have a minority in every fricken movie! If Hollywood makes a movie about the Vikings in Iceland, they will somehow have a black warrior fighting along side them. Sorry but its not necessary. You don't have to please everyone, and its not racist to leave out a minority. Especially in a historically acurate movie.

2. Hollywoods way of not telling the truth, and to change historical accuracy just to sell tickets. The Red Tails is a prime example. So is Pearl Harbor.

3. Tom Cruise...

1. Just you wait and see you man, soon you'll see a kebab shop in the next top dollar WWI trench war movie!

2. More lovey dovey in the war movies than real action....war movies are man stuff, not chick flicks! If you want a war movies for birds, do one about two countries throwing a hissyfit and don't talk to each other!

3. Aaaaawwwww.....what about Tom Cruise, I thought that he was right up there with James Stewart, John Wayne and the likes! :lol:

Dayum...it's a little early in your day to be so feisty...

Don't think it's fair that I am sitting here with a Macanudo Maduro and a chilled glass of Pilsner Urquell and you have a ways to go before your first Furstenburg of the day :evil4:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back