According to and annoying Hollywood myths....when are they going to learn?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mike, if I'm not mistaken, King Leonidas was killed in the first clash and there was a pitched battle for the next 5 hours between the Persians and the Leodiceans (and other Greeks) over possesion of Leonida's body...

i'll have to double-check that, but I'm pretty sure King Leonidas did not last long...

*edit*
Been quite some time since I studied the battle, Leonidas lasted till the third day, not sure why I was thinking he was killed the first day...

And as a side note, I did enjoy 300 for an action film based loosely on fact HOWEVER, I was not impressed with the fact that the Spartans all resembled Romans...

Greek Hoplites all had unique armor because each peice of equipment was personal property, either purchased or won in battle from vanquished opponents...

This was also one of the many pet peeves I had with the movie "Troy" that starred ol' whats-his-face (Brad Pitt)...all the Greeks and Trojans had identical armor.

I enjoyed "Helen of Troy" much better (came out about the same time) and had good acting, factual props and followed the historical timeline pretty well.

Last edited:
Apart from the idiotic firearms, how about people who get beaten or knocked unconscious, only to recover minutes/hours later without any ill effects, concussion etc. Generally injuries are trivialised. I was watching something recently (a Swedish cop show) in which a chap with a broken ankle had dispensed with his crutches and was more or less jogging 24 hours later :)

Stunts that defy the laws of physics get my goat too.

Steve

I feel your pain mate! Swedish cop shows aren't the best.... :oops:

Yea well the Movie 300 did not only show the Spartans, they also showed a thousand Thespians.
That's about all the movie showed as present at the pass: Spartans, Thespians and Acadians

The reason why only 300 Spartans went, was because it was a Spartan holiday and the 300 Spartans were actually the Royal bodyguard...they were accompanied by forces from over a dozen different city/states that altogether totalled roughly 7,000

I was only refuting the claim that the movie only showed 300 Spartans. In so far as it's accuracy I'm pretty sure there are not a lot of people that believe the Persian Army actually employed ogres and large fat men with bladed arms :lol:

I'm not talking war movies, I mean the sort of gunfights that take place in someone's front room, laboratory, whatever. The participants are rarely more than 30' apart, not several hundred yards, neither are they dispersed, dug in or otherwise protected.

Having said that, take a look at 'where Eagles Dare'. I'm convinced that the German commander protecting the castle had made the heinous mistake of issuing all his troops with blank ammunition :)

Cheers

Steve

no stona....a lot of people think just because they have a gun they automatically know how to shoot it. they are too lazy to learn how to fire the thing correctly and practice holding it so they look cool rather than hitting the target. my proof is this shoot out in a toldeo, ohio bar.....all the rounds fired just a pool table away and no one was hurt.....sometimes fiction does reflect truth...lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ8z1e2gBc4

Shooting at targets that don't move, and more importantly, don't shoot back, and firing at live targets doing both is several worlds of difference. Once the adrenaline kicks in only muscle memory is left. Combat shooting is a skill that takes time to learn and constant practice to retain. A FNG on a patrol was an open question. Even he didn't know what he was going to do when it hit the fan. That shoot-out suprises me not at all

Last edited:
Heros that only ever get a graze on the shoulder or cheek, vast amounts of bombs dropped with neer a severed limb in sight. Never a sign of anyone so petrified they cant move.

Yeah, they get shot by the guy who's literally flinging the bullets out of the barrel of his pistol...

Some of those old Westerns used to crack me up...

*if* they were actually firing rounds from their 19-shooters, they'd be hitting the ceiling, the floor, their foot, someone else's foot, the side of the building up the street, a horse tied up out front of the building up the street or launching the rounds into the air.

Much to my surprise, people were actually being portrayed as getting shot...

There is a scene from THE SEARCHERS.
The "good guys" are defending a river ford from attacking Comanche's when John Wayne tosses Ward Bond a pistol. Ward immediately pulls the trigger and "accidentally" fires into the ground, they then go on as if nothing happened.
Never really understood why they kept this in the film?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back