Adler's Warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

After doing some research on various web sites I found out the the Seagull and Walrus are the same aircraft with different names depending on whether it's Australian or British.

Interesting, I was not aware of that. Must still be different variants though, as one is single engine, and the other twin engine.

Edit: I'm an idiot. For some reason I thought we were talking about the Seagull and the Stranraer. Not the Walrus.

You are 100% correct with the Seagull and the Walrus.

Last edited:
Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb
SN: BL370

Current Location: National WW2 Museum, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Aircraft was built at the Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory. On 20 September 1944, the aircraft crashed into a marshland near Humber Estuary. The wreckage was recovered between 1983 and 1986. Restoration was completed in 1998, and it was sold in an auction to the Museum which opened on 06 June 2000.

9.jpg

After doing some research on various web sites I found out the the Seagull and Walrus are the same aircraft with different names depending on whether it's Australian or British.

Interesting, I was not aware of that. Must still be different variants though, as one is single engine, and the other twin engine.

Edit: I'm an idiot. For some reason I thought we were talking about the Seagull and the Stranraer. Not the Walrus.

Not an idiot. Just confused. After all, Supermarine made so many different aircraft with a few slight resemblances in the wing and forward fuselage shapes.

Not an idiot. Just confused. After all, Supermarine made so many different aircraft with a few slight resemblances in the wing and forward fuselage shapes.

For some reason I thought we were talking about the two seaplanes I posted earlier, the Seagull and the Stranraer.

I need to get some sleep...:lol:

Morane-Saulnier MS-406 (D-3801)
SN: J-143

Current Location: Bex, Switzerland

This is a Swiss licensed built Morane-Saulnier MS-406 (D-3801) manufactured in 1942 by the Eidg. Flugzeugwerk at Emmen, Switzerland. It was operated by the Swiss Air Force until 1959 in various training squadrons. This is the only airworthy Morane-Saulnier MS-406, and was restored from parts of Swiss D-3801s code J-84, J-276 and J-143 between 1994 and 2000. In June 2000 it was completed and displayed as Swiss Air Force J-143. It presently is owned by the Association Morane Charlie Fox at Bex, Switzerland and painted as the Battle of France veteran MS-406C-1 "Bretagne", black 7 / No138 from the Groupe de Chasse I/2 "Cicogne".

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Fiat CR.42 Falco
SN: MM5701

Current Location: RAF Museum Hendon, London, England

The aircraft was built in 1940 and assigned to 18 Gruppo of the Corpo Aereo Italiano (CAI), which was a force of some 203 aircraft including 50 CR.42s assigned to operate in support of the Luftwaffe from bases at Melsbroek, Chievres, Maldeghem and Ursel in Belgium. The aircraft is a Battle of Britain veteran, but could only operate over England for approx. 10 minutes because of it's limited range. The aircraft flew its first operational sortie on 24 October 1940, on a night time bombing mission against Harwich and Felixstowe. On 11 November 1940, it took part in a daylight bombing mission to Harwich. It was flown by Sergente Pilota Pietro Salvadori. On it's flight to the target, the aircraft suffered from mechanical problems with a busted oil hose. The engine overheated, and Salvadori emergency landed the aircraft on the beach at beach at Orfordness, Suffolk. Salvadori was captured and became a POW. When interrogated by the British, Salvadori commented that he was happy to be out of the war, was dissatisfied with the Italian officers, and didn't like Belgian weather, the Germans, or their food! After the war Salvadori continued to serve in the Italian Air Force, and was killed in a F-84G Thunderjet crash in April 1953.

1.jpg

Aeronautica Macchi C.202 Folgore
SN: M.M. 9476

Current Location: National Air and Space Museum, Washington DC, USA

This is one of only two remaining 202's left in the world. The history of the aircraft is unknown, only that it was brought to the US in 1945 for evaluation purposes, eventually landing in the museum.

f4.jpg
f5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back