Air france flight from Brazil to Paris

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I caught the tail end of an interview with an Aer Lingus pilot on the news this eveneing, he was talking about the speed sensors on the airbus failing and the flight control system not knowing what speed the aircraft was going and hitting 'coffin corner'. Just googled it.

Wiki- Coffin Corner.

"The coffin corner or Q-Corner is the altitude at or near which an aircraft's stall speed is equal to the critical Mach number, at a given gross weight and G loading. At this altitude the aircraft becomes nearly impossible to keep in stable flight. Since the stall speed is the minimum speed required to maintain level flight, any reduction in speed will cause the airplane to stall and lose altitude. Since the critical Mach number is maximum speed at which air can travel over the wings without losing lift due to flow separation and shock waves, any increase in speed will cause the airplane to lose lift, or to pitch heavily nose-down, and lose altitude. The "corner" refers to the triangular shape at the top of a flight envelope chart where the stall speed and critical Mach number lines come together."

Consequences.

"When an aircraft slows to below its stall speed (or more properly, when the wing exceeds its critical angle of attack), the airflow over the top of the wing separates from the wing surface, and lift decreases dramatically (the wing "stalls"). Because the lift reduces while the aircraft's weight does not, the aircraft loses altitude. When the aircraft exceeds its critical Mach number, then drag increases or Mach tuck occurs, which can cause the aircraft to upset, lose control, and lose altitude. In either case, as the airplane falls, it could gain speed and then structural failure could occur.

As an aircraft approaches its coffin corner, the margin between stall speed and critical Mach number becomes smaller and smaller. Small changes could put one wing or the other above or below the limits. For instance, a turn causes the inner wing to have a lower airspeed, and the outer wing, a higher airspeed. The aircraft could exceed both limits at once. Or, turbulence could cause the airspeed to change suddenly, to beyond the limits."

Nobody read (or perhaps understood) Muller's post.

Vassili, I'll try to paraphrase from what I understand. Matt, please correct anything which isn't correct.

As an aircraft flies higher, the stall speed increases, and the critical mach number decreases. Eventually you reach a point where the two are almost the same figure. Any faster and you will get mach tuck (nose pitch down, and more over-speed), any slower and you will stall the aircraft (nose pitch up in a swept wing aircraft).

There are other things which affect the stall and cricical mach speeds, such as temperature, so I would guess, theoretically at least, severe up/down drafts could have placed them in 'coffin corner'.

Matt, I read it too.

But those airframes are quite strong. We've all seen the video's of wings being stressed to the breaking point. I cannot imagine anyone certifying (or insuring) the aircraft if it busts up during a stall.

Once the any large Part 25 airplane departs normal flight, the stress on the airframe is enormous. I will not even postulate that is what happened. But if it did the implications are likely catastrophic.

Matt, I read it too.

But those airframes are quite strong. We've all seen the video's of wings being stressed to the breaking point. I cannot imagine anyone certifying (or insuring) the aircraft if it busts up during a stall.

any aircraft could break up during a stall, it all depends on the severity of the stall, all aircraft are designed to with stand 3 G's, most airliners are designed to withstand 8 or more as a one of but it wouldn't be the first time an airliner has exprenced more than it could stand

epically if you took into account partially damage from hail, which would increase the stalls speed and damage the airframe

Matt, I read it too.

Remember, we are not talking normal 3 g stresses which most airlines are certified to. FAR Part 25 gives Specific requirements that are the minimum requirements and it is expected that for the most part commercial aircraft will be operated within the envelope established. What happened to this aircraft seems to be abnormal. We'll see as more more data is collected.

Aint the Airbus designed to stall nice?

Gentle nose drop? Not exactly 9g. And isn't the FBW to stop overstress? More questions.

More I know is the less I know in this crash as things contradict.

If the aircraft had pitot issues then the pilots would have had plenty time to radio and the aircraft would not fall apart because of this.

My view is that either went into the storm to slow and stalled but surely it would recover? Or it was attempted recovery and high speed close to sound and it couldn't take it and fell apart? But the FBW would have done a safe pull out.

Or it lost all electrics but why would it do that?

Only the black boxes will tell...

Aint the Airbus designed to stall nice?

Gentle nose drop? Not exactly 9g. And isn't the FBW to stop overstress? More questions.....

Yes you are right. But read the ACARS msgs. The FCC/Autothrottle disconnected. FBW bye bye.

More I know is the less I know in this crash as things contradict....

Yep. Thus not a good idea to speculate. There are more msgs with periodic reporting that includes winds, temps, lat/longs and time. [proprietary]

If the aircraft had pitot issues then the pilots would have had plenty time to radio and the aircraft would not fall apart because of this....

Not necessarily. Only if they immediately recognized the problems. Rather, they likely just recieved a series of fault messages on the EICAS that caused them to resort to the QRH/POM. Pilots are trained to perform tasks that are detailed in these manuals and NOT to deviate (in most ALL situations). Remember the rules of pilotage... aviate, navigate, communicate. In that order. It appears from the ACARS msgs that the time from faults to last communication was 3 min or less. Aviate.

My view is that either went into the storm to slow and stalled but surely it would recover? Or it was attempted recovery and high speed close to sound and it couldn't take it and fell apart? But the FBW would have done a safe pull out....

The time AF447 indicated its position (via both voice/data periodic surveillance reports) NOAA shows that inclement weather showed severe storm cells in the area (up to FL520 and with upper clouds indicating -80C temps). The FBW (as you say) is not a 'fail safe' technology. And again... note that the autopilot/autothrottle apparently disconnected. There is also another msg indicating "alternate control law" which might be a reversionary mode of operation from the FBW back to analog (note that this is my guesstimate as I am not an A330 FCC SME by any stretch of the imagination).

Or it lost all electrics but why would it do that?...

I keep reading this and from some official sources. Note sure where this comes from other than the ACARS fault codes. Yes, lots of the AF447 systems indicated faults. But this can also likely be attributed to the first loss of pitot probes (recall the A300 that augered into the ground after a maintenance action taped all the pitot probes closed and the pilots lost associated flight parameters IFR).

Only the black boxes will tell...

Yes. Thank God they aren't black. And let's hope we find them.

Matt, I read it too.

Yet remember the American A300 tail failure?

Note the ACARS msg indicating rudder travel limiter fault warning. A pilot induced oscillation (stop-to-stop) has been proven to bring down a Part 25 airplane. Sys, it's not the stall that is catastrophic. It's the recovery. Again. Only supposition and nothing yet to support this... except a relatively fully intact tail...

Apparently the rudder limiter is governed by the airspeed. Loss of airspeed indication, could lead to loss of the rudder limiter/incorrect operation, which would allow pilots to make exessive control inputs. Would explain the ACARS warning regarding the rudder limiter.

One thing for sure, I'm learning a lot more about the systems in one of these aircraft than I ever did doing the ATPL pilots exam!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back