Air france flight from Brazil to Paris

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

With the additional data that has just come in, including the automated flight controls switching to manual - it sounds like perhaps a last moment change to ride the turbulence - to keep the ship from falling apart due to the huge indicial gusts in that monster (100mph+ winds).

At that altitude there is small difference between cruise and stall. If it stalled there in that storm - they were done - bend over and kiss it goodbye

With the additional data that has just come in, including the automated flight controls switching to manual - it sounds like perhaps a last moment change to ride the turbulence - to keep the ship from falling apart due to the huge indicial gusts in that monster (100mph+ winds).

At that altitude there is small difference between cruise and stall. If it stalled there in that storm - they were done - bend over and kiss it goodbye

Do you have a link to this drgondog?

Last edited:
So the plane could have stalled? Sorry about asking a lot questions. Just curious about this.

Yes - for a couple of reasons

One, a serious downgust pushing the airplane dowln violently and pilot reacts to pull up (not a good move).. when the downdraft is past him he is now in a climb/stall control position.

Two - major indicial gusts smashing the airplane leads pilot to attempt to pull the throttles back a little too much - in an attempt to reduce the effect of turbulence... and stalls it.

Both of these conditions more likely on manual than autopilot

Last edited:
An airbus 320 crashed into the Meditarranean in November 2008.

I still haven't seen the report of the cause, but it's well possible that I missed something.

Do any of you guys know the cause?

The crash you're talking about was initially declared a crime scene. Then they came out and said--sound familiar?--low speed stall. The strange thing is that they originally stated that the extensive wreckage indicated a violent crash at a very high speed and the French Justice opened an investigation after making it a crime scene.

Later, they issued news saying that the pilots lost control after stalling at low speed altitude.

It was a test flight with seven aboard--pilots, engineers, etc.--and all perished.

Pardon me if I sound obtuse and ignorant, but...

isn't it true that it is just not possible to stall an A 320 unless you're on full manual with all safeties disengaged?

And even if you do stall, shouldn't an experienced pilot be able to recover from it,, unless that stall was at very low altitude?

Bizarre, isn't it? Look up the history of A380 incidents...you'll find it interesting. Some of the explanations are beyond ridiculous...such as pilots flying into terrain after leaving it on autopilot, "failure to move forward on the throttles despite declining altitude", and other unbelievable statements.

The investigators are not going to rule out an explosive device and there was a threat to the airplane before take off.

Stalling is bad but it would only be a link of the chain in the crash.

This could be a chain of events but the idea that a modern jetliner could be torn to pieces by unknown forces is not exactly comforting.

A bomb threat OR a serious malfunction would be the last thing the industry would want the public to know about--think about the effects to the transportation industry, which is already suffering greatly under economic conditions. Air France has already experienced a large amount of cancellations since the incident.

My own father and sister will be flying Air France on their visit to Paris this summer...

To suggest there will be a coverup or any information will be held back because the EU/Air France/Airbus etc is having a bad time in the recession is just plain crazy. If the recorders can be found, the truth will be discovered. I personally think terrorist attack is highly unlikely - someone would have claimed responsibility by now, and in any case I would suspect France and Brazil are fairly low on any Muslim terror group's target list. Why anyone else would want to blow the flight up I do not know.

The news this morning is that there were 24 error messages sent from the plane before it lost contact. They are also saying the storm may not of been a bigger than average storm for the region. Seems like all the systems went down one after the other (looks like it wasn't in autopilot). Guess we'll find out at some point, until then it is just speculation, looks like a stall which was induced by mitigating circumstances to me though.

BBC NEWS | Americas | Plane 'sent 24 error messages'

Well gentlemen we are all just speculating.
If and when the black boxes will be recovered (highly improbable) then we will know better . Having crossed the Atlantic almost 65 times over the last 40 years and having suffered terrible flights (especially in winter) with hefty turbulences, I'm more inclined to think that there was pilots' error or miscalculation.
Honestly I can't think of Al Khaida or an act of terrorism, we would have heard from them at this stage.
Let's bow in reverence to the poor souls who lost their lives and think of the terrible moments they must have gone through.
carson1934

Users who are viewing this thread

Back