Aircraft Identification V (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My apologies for posting this. It's not WWII and this is not an excuse to post the obvious, but the UK services have published a 'Village Ladies' type calendar. But I'm genuinely puzzled as to what aircraft is shown here - engine nacelles and a wing gun? Did RAF Canberra's have wing guns? Gloster Meteor? I don't know...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, there's an aircraft under the ladies. Didn't see it at first. :lol: It's a Gloster Meteor, the ailerons give it away to me. But what is this black pipe sticking out of the leading edge? Maybe kind of a pitot or an aerial?

Krabat

Oh, there's an aircraft under the ladies. Didn't see it at first. :lol: It's a Gloster Meteor, the ailerons give it away to me. But what is this black pipe sticking out of the leading edge? Maybe kind of a pitot or an aerial?

Krabat

Setting aside the possibility of the Meteor getting excited at the attention, that would be the wing mounted cannon. From which I would say its an NF Meteor.

Aircraft has been identified, pic has been removed.

Very succinct summary!

But as has been mentioned, the pic was of a nightfighter Meteor probably an Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF 11. It's one of the wonderful things about this forum that the feedback identified it - I was never aware that any version of the Meteor had wing-guns until now!

Mods - thanks for your understanding, it was a genuine query!

I was never aware that any version of the Meteor had wing-guns until now!

The night fighter versions had, but from what I knew, they had four, two in each wing. I could make out only one in the pic.

Oh, looks like it isn't there anymore. Strange... Could have been fitting to the "What we fight for"-category. :twisted:

Krabat

EDIT: I stand corrected. Saw the other barrel below and slightly to the left. Anyway: "Pharisäer!"

Last edited:

Krabat

Hi Krabat
welcome back how's the kid?:lol:
May I take advantage of your return and ask you whether you heard about the Showa Sho98 Type 98?
I just found a pic somewhere on the net but there doesn't seem to be much information about it otherwise

Any information or pic or design or plan is appreciated
Cheers
Carson1934

Hi carson,

I'm not "back", I'm afraid, I just took a few minutes at work to visit the thread. The kid is fine, though very straining at the moment. He was in the hospital the whole last week - a violent attack of Rotavirus. And obviously the whole thing must have made him edgy, he wakes up crying six or seven times each night. Hope this will end soon, I'm sure it will.:confused:

I will check my books at home about the Showa but to be honest, I didn't know the type before you mentioned it. How about asking Graeme, he usually knows these things much better than I do. And his kids are much older now. :lol:

Krabat

Hi carson,

I'm not "back", I'm afraid, I just took a few minutes at work to visit the thread. The kid is fine, though very straining at the moment. He was in the hospital the whole last week - a violent attack of Rotavirus. And obviously the whole thing must have made him edgy, he wakes up crying six or seven times each night. Hope this will end soon, I'm sure it will.:confused:

I will check my books at home about the Showa but to be honest, I didn't know the type before you mentioned it. How about asking Graeme, he usually knows these things much better than I do. And his kids are much older now. :lol:

Krabat

Thanks anyway Krabat I hope Graeme will eventually look my thread up.
Best wishes for your kid I'm sure he will get better very very soon
Carson1934

I hope Graeme will eventually look my thread up.

You may send him a PM, maybe he's busy too. From what I know he is working on a lot of things all the time.

Krabat

You may send him a PM, maybe he's busy too. From what I know he is working on a lot of things all the time.

Krabat

Thanks for following up Krabat...
at any rate I'm enclosing a pic of the Showa maybe it's going to ring a bell also on your side...
Carson1934
showa.jpg

Ok. I realize I don't visit this thread much and when I do a usually stay quiet but I found a craft that might intrigue you guys so here goes. The engine cowl is off a DC-3, the prop spinner is off a Constellation, and the rest of the mods are handcrafted. Oh, and it has a Pratt and Whitney R-1830 twin row radial with a two stage super charger with a luggage compartment just large enough for a golf bag full of clubs just in front of the cockpit.:lol:

IMG_7971 resized 25 legal.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! At first glance I even thought it was Sea Fury based until I recognised its true ID. Wicked!

Way to go Waynos!!!!!!!:notworthy: Here is a frontal view to better let you see the plane. Like I said it has the 1830 P&W with a two stage supercharger. The spinner is from a Constalation and the engine cowl is from a DC-3 and the airscoop on top of that is hand fabricated.

Attachments

• IMG_7970 resized 25 legal.jpg
    IMG_7970 resized 25 legal.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back