Airfix 1/24 scale Bf109E.....or a bed of thorns

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's really nothing exceptional but thank you . And you'r welcome.

I have the Heller version. I belive it to be Airfix with different markings. Is this correct?

This kit seems not to have the same molding issues as this one does. Could it be that being a kit from, I would say mid 80's that the dyes are still in good shape? Decals on the oter hand are yellowing,so I contacted Airfix and they are sending me the current scheme of decals. Gratis. Who said good stuff is never free.

The original mouldings (by Airfix) date from around 1970. During the time when Heller were part of the Airfix company, there were a number of kits which could be found to be moulded well by one factory (or perhaps a particular batch issue), but poorly by another.
The Heller boxing's of the Airfix 1/24th scale kits were always slightly less in price than the original too.
Current Airfix price for this particular kit is around the £41 mark, or around $62 US, which I personally believe is over-priced for such an old moulding. It retailed in the UK at under £3 when first issued, and I obtained an example a few years ago for £7, reduced from £15.
My example is 'reasonable', but some parts were mis-moulded or a poor fit, to the point I built the model as a belly-landed display, due to the landing gear being virtually unusable.

Mounting wonderful, I know that Airfix kit is a difficult assembly, but in skilled hands is a breeze

:thumbright: Feel free and keep asking please.
Great build Wurger, to those using a kindle to view the forum be careful what your fingers are doing, while privately admiring Wurgers work my fingers were clicking on "disagree" as I scrolled, sorry Wurger.

Great work Wojtek!

Yes, it's the same kit. Airfix owned Heller in the later days, although Heller now no longer exist, and Airfix are now owned by Hornby.

Though you might have to be carefull with the Heller offering of these kits. The plastic used is different. There was at least one batch that had bad plastic. It has a somewhat "oily" feel to it. It's very brittle and breaks easely. Heller reboxed the 1/24 Bf 109 E and the Fw 190 A and the Ju 87 Stuka. All with different markings then the airfix kits. I think the Fw 190 came with "Pips Prillers" markings. Not sure of the Bf 109 E, but I guess it came with "Battle of France" era markings.

I recently build as a comission the Fw 190 in the Hornby/Airfix re-issue and it's a nice kit. I still have a parly build old P-51 somewhere hidden in a closet.

I personally prefer a rougher look to these Warbirds. In the actual war they were not the spit-and-polish multi-million dollar hangar queens you see today by-and-large. This one looks accurate to me instead of over-done. Great work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back