Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk 1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne's right. the yellow tips should be 'square' with the chord of the blade, ie, straight. They were 4 inches deep, so that's approx 2.5 mm in 1/48th scale.
I think the instruction diagram actually shows this, with the prop at the pitch angle, which makes the yellow look angled down. Would have been better if the drawing was 'front on'.

I sort out some pix on here and found 1 that looked similar but then realised it was the angle of the prop blade that gave the angled appearance, so as you've suggested AirFrames, the instructions are probably correct taking the pitch angle into account.
Thanks for the information guys, why I really enjoy this forum!

Been flat out, had to get my darling wife to pick up some paint for me....

hurricane camo in RAF Dark Earth and RAF Dark Green..... are these colours correct??

HurrMk1014.jpg

Yep, and being Xtracolor, they're spot on! Just in case you don't know, these are gloss paints, so will be ready for decals once dry, then apply a matt clear coat. If you're brush-painting, they will need a thorough stir before use, and fully brushed out when applying. It might appear that there is dust on the surface when brushing, or whilst drying. Ignore this - it's air bubbles which should fade when dry. The paint is specially formulated for airbrush use after thinning.

Hours of fun......

HurrMk1015.jpg

Remebered to hit the canopy with 'interior colour'

HurrMk1016.jpg

RAF Dark Earth

HurrMk1017.jpg

All masked up.... there may be an easier method, but this works for me

HurrMk1017a.jpg

A little dissapointed, It is extremely hard to pick the green from the brown.... flash photography shows it up better, the second pic has been adjusted... I'm guessing on a full size plane it would be easier to pick the differences in colour and that these colours don't go well together scaled down? Definately a lighter shade of brown next time I paint this sort of camo.

HurrMk1018.jpg

HurrMk1019.jpg

You should find it will show more once the matt clear coat is on. But you're right, as the scale decreases, the colours should be lightened for scale effect. For the Dark Earth, a very small touch of yellow, and a tiny spot of white will do the job. If you decide to re-paint the brown, test the mix first and let it dry, and adjust as required before going to the model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back