Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk 1 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Decals are done, just waiting for the clear to dry before I add some weathering..

I've been experimenting with a colour for the exhaust, I added a few drops of copper to some metalic black.. then a few more drops of copper until I was happy with the way it looked, I'm hoping that with a flat coat and some weathing it may look quite realistic..

HurrMk1020.jpg

cheers,
Pete

Still struggling to master the matt clear coat.... not sure if i need to thin it out some more or try to apply it more spareingly.... what do you guys use... I have pollyscale flat finish.

I grabbed a sliver pencil and had a bit of fun, as the flat coat gave the plane a pretty washed out look I thought I'd have a go at adding some chips etc. Still got to add the arial mast... i forgot to paint it originally so its drying..

pete

HurrMk1021.jpg

Looks wicked Pete 8)
The postie just delivered one of these to me so that's made my day.:D
It's a shame Airfix insist on making the canopy as one piece as I want to display mine with an open cockpit.:(
Vacuform here I come I guess.
Well done Pete,great job mate.:D
Cheers,
Tony.

Don't you just love being home on a Friday Arvo??

Ok a little more experimentation, I stripped a bit of multi strand 'hook up' wire, give one strand a bit of a stretch to straighten it out and tried it out as antena wire. I have no idea as to the width as I don't have a micrometer, however it doesn't look out of place. Should it be any particular colour??? as you can see its 'chrome silver' at the moment.

Still need to tidy up the arial post as you can see, I was keen to experiment! lol

HurrMk1023.jpg

HurrMk1022.jpg

Still struggling to master the matt clear coat.... not sure if i need to thin it out some more or try to apply it more spareingly.... what do you guys use... I have pollyscale flat finish.

View attachment 137081

I use Testors Dull Coat. Works great, just remember to keep it mixed.

The Hurricane looks great BTW. The slightly washed out effect of the flat coat looks like weathering in the picture. I like it!

Looking good Pete, and the aerial wire worked out quite well. It should run from the horizontal 'tab' on the mast though, with the connector wire running down from the mast 'tab' to the top of the fuselage.
The cloudy look from the matt clear coat is caused by either not being fully stirred immediately before use, or too heavy an application, possibly a second pass whiilst the first coat was still wet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back