Airfix 1/48 Me 109 E

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not bad at all Dave. If you like, you could still simulate the soft edges of the mottles using the technique suggested by Paul, making sure there is just enough paint on the Q-Tip to leave a soft smudge.

You're doing great Dave and as is usual on this great forum, advice is plentiful and the 'Q' tip is a good one for me to remember.

Not for Terry: If memory serves me right, after 12 minutes on full reheat the F.6 Lightning would have only about 15 minutes flying time left…………………….better get home quick…………………….

Good stuff. If you have a look at the 'Basic Guide to Brush Painting' I posted some time ago, I believe now in the 'Sticky' threads in the Painting Questions, there's an explanation of how to go about using a cotton bud (Q-Tip) for mottling.
Here's an example of the effect, on a brush-painted Hasegawa 1/48th Bf109E, done about 20 years ago - and looking a bit scruffy!
Depending on weight of paint, pressure of application and any diffusion added, a much better effect can be achieved if needed.

Attachments

• Gallery models 105.jpg
    Gallery models 105.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 89
thanks terry

Ok well i got brave and had another go at the mottling ...

With the airbrush

I think skills wise its very much a work in progress ... but you have to try these things or you will never break your duck ... Added a few flaps and bits and started on the undercart

Cowl fit is lousy, which is annoying as otherwise its been a good fit... will have another look at that tomorrow

20130212_211317.jpg

think its less bad than it was

20130212_211412.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, for a first attempt, that's not bad at all - well done.
The key to airbrushing mottles is practice - lots of it !
Mottles are one of those things which can be a real pain to get right, for anyone. Sometimes they work beautifully first time, and at other times can come out exactly the way you didn't want it to!
A lot depends on the thinning ratio of the paint, pressure, and distance from the surface being sprayed, and, of course, the fine-line capability of the 'brush being used.
The main reason I bought my first 'brush was for mottles, and I only used it for this, and a final clear coat.

Looks good so far. A tip for spraying mottle or at least what I find works for me. If you have an air brush that you can regulate the air pressure or air compressor. Thin the paint 50/50, I swear by Testors Model Master paint so I thin with paint thinner. The paint will be very watery but that's ok. Turn the pressure down as far as you can so it's just barely picking up the paint. Then start giving it a go. Aim the air brush and just give the trigger a tap. You will get a very small almost see through spot. Apply all the spots following what ever pattern your using. Then start over again and go over each spot after it's had a bit to dry. It might take about 3-4 shots to build up the paint to the point where it looks right. It's better to spray less paint than more paint which is what I see a lot of people trying to do. The best way to master airbrushing is to experiment, different mix ratios, distance from the surface, air pressure etc. You would be surprised at what you can do with even the most miserable bottom of the line airbrush !

Thanks guys

Had a decent go at this the last couple of days ..

In the spirit of doing my first go at this stuff, first stop was a bit of dry brushing so to speak with some pastel chalks, tidying up with an eraser. Thanks to Waynes guides i have my first ever attempt at panel lines .

So I splodged a bit of future and applied the main decals and a few more bits and bobs ...
20130217_165240.jpg
20130217_165300.jpg

Thanks for the interest and encouragement chaps :)

Did some stencils and a little more weathering tonight.... must admit I have often not payed much attention to stencils .. fiddly little critters arent they

Just needs canopy finishing, some touch up and a matt coat and I will call it done and look at the Me262 for the group build :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back