Airfix 1/48 Me 109 E

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hmm blue has come out very odd in that first pic
I will get the SLR out and take some proper pics of this and the I16 at the weekend, ideally in daylight lol

Good work there. One point concerning the canopy - it shouldn't have the central frames on the 'E4' variant. Airfix got that bit wrong, by basing the model design on the preserved example at the RAF Museum. The original canopy went missing, sometime after the aircraft force-landed on Manston aerodrome, and was repaired and test flown. When the aircraft was restored for exhibition, in the 1970s, a 'G' type canopy from a Buchon was used, as the closest substitute.
I have the task of removing these moulded frames from at least four Airfix kits, for my B0B collection!

Yep, looking forward to them too. Just noticed something else with the canopy - it looks like you've used the 'E1/E3' windscreen, with the 'E4' canopy and rear glazing. But no problem, it's still looking OK, and it's all experience.
I'm still some weeks, probably months away from starting work on the ten '109s I have scheduled, at least four of which are the Airfix kit, and wondering what you thought about the fit?
I'm aware of the minor errors in the kit, which I can sort, just wondering how it went together. (the other kits I have are Hobbycraft and Tamiya, with an already built Hasegawa, none of which should have problems).

Thanks for the interest chaps

Dave she's come out well, looking forward to some more pictures.

Thanks Vaughan, I dont think its that clever in places but i learned a lot and its better than my last effort ...........hope you are winning with the P47 now

Will take some pics at the weekend if we manage to get some daylight

Yep, looking forward to them too. Just noticed something else with the canopy - it looks like you've used the 'E1/E3' windscreen, with the 'E4' canopy and rear glazing. But no problem, it's still looking OK, and it's all experience.
I'm still some weeks, probably months away from starting work on the ten '109s I have scheduled, at least four of which are the Airfix kit, and wondering what you thought about the fit?
I'm aware of the minor errors in the kit, which I can sort, just wondering how it went together. (the other kits I have are Hobbycraft and Tamiya, with an already built Hasegawa, none of which should have problems).

Thanks Terry
Yes i think i got my canopies muddled when i decided not to do the galland version ... they supply a front screen for that with the infamous telescope...

As for the kit, overall i was pleased. I dont have the detail knowledge to spot the little errors between versions but it looks good and goes together very nicely indeed . I barely had to fill anywhere and there was no warping or the like . The one very large but is the engine / cowling. The make the cowling seperate to allow for open posing i guess but the engine as provided is rudimentary in the extreme and would take a huge effort to make an open model look the part. The cowling is then the one part that doesnt want to play nice. mine seemed a little wider than the rest of the fuselage and slightly off square , the twist meaning as i tried to correct one corner it made the other side worse. In the end i stopped sanding before it just vanished lol . With your skills I guess a more thoughtful fix with a little plastic card to make a fillet would be a better approach, or maybe i was just unlucky to get a warped one .

For the price though ( i think i paid about £10 ) its very good and streets better than an airfix Ju 87 i tried a while back which was vague fitting and very softly detailed

Thanks for the info - I'll check out the cowling fit.
The Ju-87 kit dates from around 1980 - streets ahead of its time back then, and still reasonable today, but showing it's age through the moulds.
The '109 kit is really excellent value for money, especially being able to build virtually any version of the 'E' straight from the box, with the parts provided. It's a very good kit indeed, and could have been truly excellent, especially at the average selling price, if the landing gear legs, prop and 'E4' canopy weren't slightly 'off'. The prop isn't too noticeable, but that canopy, and the gear legs, certainly are, although the minor errors can be rectified.
I think I'd rather pay around £10 to £14 for a good kit which needs a little 'adjustment', than pay the stupidly high prices from Hasegawa for a kit which is good, but not £30+ good! (and doesn't have optional parts either!!)

Turned out great Dave. Those mottles, for your first effort, are excellent. I might have gone with a little less wear on the props but that's just a personal taste thing. Great job!

Finally managed a few more pics

More or less done now though I may have a go at an ariel wire when i get a chance to get some thread that may work

Anyway I feel its a decent move on from the I-16 disaster and the F4U before that

DSA_3454.jpg

DSA_3455.jpg

DSA_3457.jpg

DSA_3459.jpg

DSA_3465.jpg

DSA_3469.jpg

Looking great. I like it. :D :D :D
But a short note here... there is something wrong with the cockpit conopy I'm afraid. It seems you used the central part for later variant of the Emil while the winscreen is of the early type. Also the cockpit conopy doesn't correspond to the spinner and the version of the Bf 109E in my humble opinion..

Last edited:
I think you are right Wojtek. I got myself confused when I was deciding which variant to build having been indecisive and then deciding to treat myself to some aftermarket decals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back