Airfix 1/48 P-51D

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I imagine that everything was solved and as you say "the recommendations were noted in the notebook"
Very good job so far Chad, we are still pending to what follows.

Saludos :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind and encouraging comments everyone. I started piddling with this again about a week ago, figured I only have a small area to repaint and I could get on finishing this up. I started sanding out the blemishes in the gloss black to prep it for another coat when I realized my problems were much more severe. I noticed small hairline cracks spidering through the black paint. Upon noticing this and with closer inspection, I realized that all of my gloss black on the wings had cracked in this manner showing through all the Alclad. The fuselage seems unaffected fortunately. So, needless to say, I am slowly sanding all of the paint back on the wings, top and bottom, to start over entirely with with gloss black and Alclad. Very frustrating, but I am also glad I hadn't already gone ahead with the decals and weathering. I will post pictures later, though not much to see as we all know what sanding through various paint layers looks like.:confused: You can actually just make out these cracks in the photo I posted previously of the black outer wing. Also, I finally have some micro mesh sanding pads that should make things a lot easier than before, as I only had sanding sticks from the beauty salon for polishing. I'll keep at it and update again in a few days hopefully.

You are intending to fly this at a later date right ? :)
Sweet work so far !

You are intending to fly this at a later date right ? :)
Sweet work so far !
Thanks! Yeah, I will finish it, just sanding a bit here and there between other projects. My Oscar I am working on will have a base of alclad so will probably do both at the same time.

0929181204a.jpg
0929181204.jpg

Resurrecting this build. I sanded back the wings to bare plastic and started over. I applied a base of Model Master enamel gloss black then resprayed alclad airframe aluminum after I let it cure for a couple days. I waited another 24 hours then gave the whole thing a coat of MM Acryl clear gloss. The overall clear coat should help with masking and resisting paint peeling as I have had good results so far with this on my Oscar. Also being acrylic I should be able to use oil washes without any problems. I also painted the anti glare panel on the nose with olive drab and faded OD. I am now repainting the blue and black markings on the wings. If all goes well I should be able to start decaling. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back