Airfix 1:72 scale He 177

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
My nemisis, this kit has been staring me and daring me down from the hieghts of the man cave for so long I can't recall. It's terrible, got the raised panel lines and giant rivets all over it and horribly devoid of any detail. The decal sheet might as well be printed on papyrus. That being said the plastic is still in great shape for a kit I figure has to be at least 30 years old or more.
he177.jpg

I was also wondering since I don't post much over the summer. My Modeling is a winter hobby. I have'nt seen anything from Deck Ape here in ages. I always looked forward to seeing what he was up to. Anyone know what he's up to ??

Loved that kit as a kid. Almost finished it. Now I wouldn't bother and sold the remains on Ebay. Have the Revell versions now. I understand they are much better and not that expensive for what you get. Either way I really want to see what you do with that classic.

Nice one. The best thing about the kit is the box-top art work!
I remember struggling with the kit probably nearer 40 years ago - funnily enough, with a lot of work, and preferably vac-formed transparent parts, it can turn out quite nice.

I remember struggling with the kit probably nearer 40 years ago

Me too. I'd just got one of those Humbrol external mix airbrushes that ran off canned air and made a right pigs ear of the paint as well as the construction :D

Some of the builds on here amaze me in terms of the superb quality people manage to produce from old kits I remember as being lousy from back in the day.

Ah yes, I built that Kit when much younger, I believe I later rigged it to burn in the same fashion as the real thing did also apparently

The easy stuff first. Got the landing gear and tail wheel done.

gear_zpsb3cd6432.jpg

Also the flight deck is done.

flightdeck_zps2c88dd60.jpg

Fascinating aircraft the more a read about it. Apparently it would send Hitler into a rage and it was forbidden for anyone to mention it in his person much like the Me 262 was to become. It's also currious how development of the He 277 was stubbed even though that variant seemed to eliminate all of the 177's shorcomings.

This kit is a challenge to say the least ! Sanding filling sanding re fitting etc. It's comeing along. The Fuselage is closed up and the interior details done. I made an ammo belt out of thin wire and masking tape. The Ammo box is folded foil from a wine bottle. I'm down to vacu-forming a nose piece for it but the shape of it does'nt seem to lend it's self in the co-operation end of it. Lot's of rejects !! It kind of got a bit frustrating so I turned my attention to another kit I recently aquired, Me-321, it's a MONSTER! Here's an update pic.
he117001_zps0616c1af.jpg

Yes definitely looking good. I don't understand the issues you are having with the cockpit canopies. IIRC there were two pieces: the almost half sphere nose and the separate partial cylinder roof. From the picture it looks as though you are trying to mold both together. A great idea, but not exactly conducive to heat and smash. Try doing them separately even though it might be a pain to join the two piece together after the fact. Also back up the masters (the original canopies) with some clay or similar before trying to mold.

Or...you could just buy the Falcon or Squadron vacuformed replacements. They are especially made for the Airfix kit and should be dead on. The Squadron one may even be cheaper now that the Revell kit has been released.

I glued the two pieces of the canopy together. Then I dropped it and as I slid my chair back to look for it broke it with the wheels on the chair. I made a couple of plugs before hand though. Problem I think is with my heating method. I either get a bunch of heat blisters in the plastic (too hot) or it won't shrink entirely around the plug, (not hot enough) or I get a couple of wrinkles.

Bummer! But Santa Jim just may have saved your build! I believe I have the following and since I got rid of my Airfix He 177 it's all yours...free postage also if you live in the states!

1/72 scale Set No.9: Luftwaffe, World War II (part 2 - bombers)Dornier Do 17Z*(for Frog/Revell kit)*(for Revell kit)*(for Airfix kit)Dornier Do 17E/F*(for Airfix kit)*(for Italeri, Airfix or Revell kit)Arado Ar 234B*(for Frog/Revell kit)

Just let me confirm over the next day or so OK? But I believe I have it.

Bustedwing
It is a good job so far. :shock: I liked how the tires and undercarriage are.
Come interesting things, I'll be here pending. :arrow:

Saludos

Bummer! But Santa Jim just may have saved your build! I believe I have the following and since I got rid of my Airfix He 177 it's all yours...free postage also if you live in the states!

1/72 scale Set No.9: Luftwaffe, World War II (part 2 - bombers)Dornier Do 17Z*(for Frog/Revell kit)*(for Revell kit)*(for Airfix kit)Dornier Do 17E/F*(for Airfix kit)*(for Italeri, Airfix or Revell kit)Arado Ar 234B*(for Frog/Revell kit)

Just let me confirm over the next day or so OK? But I believe I have it.
That would be fantastic !I actually live in BC about 10 minuits from the border. I do have a friend that has a PO box in Blain WA. Or I could forward a bank check to you to cover any expenses. Thanks
Graham.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back