Airfix Engineer - Jet Engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Having built this kit recently with my 8 year old daughter Lily, I found the directions a little lacking. So I wrote - up a little addendum to use with, and in same places replace, the directions included with the kit. So, without further delay, here are the notes that I hope will help you get from this:

20161021_205942.jpg

20161023_015640.jpg

To this:

20161023_015755.jpg

Under "Tools required to assemble the kit" include a lighter or matches because I found that the hairdryer didn't get hot enough to sufficiently shrink the heat shrink. Also the free magnetic tipped Philips screwdriver is nice, but I found a similar size Philips jewelers screwdriver worked better. One additional tool, though not mentioned is some kind of tool to remove the plastic parts from the sprue. We used a special set of pliars that are made specifically to do this job and leave minimal flash and marring behind.

NOTE: On Page 5, under "Kit Parts – Securing screws and…" that there are 4 different type of screws. Most are of one particular type, but there are 5 that are very different and they should be noted and kept to one side. One will be only partially threaded, have a nut and a thin clear plastic washer that may or may not be already seated on the screw. If it is not, find it and keep it with the screw and nut combination. Also there is another pair of screws that each have a matching nut. Finally there are two screws that have washers integrated into the head of the screws. Again, make note of all of these different screws and nuts and keep them together for use later.

The next bit of advise that I can give will come in handy on Page 9, specifically "Assembly sequence 7". Take care when you are positioning the circuit board AND IT"S ASSOCIATED WIRES into the base unit. It is important to assure that these wires are routed correctly from the circuit board through the path cut in the mounting structure. It is not clearly show in the direction pictures, but it is not too hard to figure out this route (to your left, not forward) when you look at how they want you to mount it, but believe me it will save you some headaches with wires getting in the way or showing down the line.

OK, so now here is where my advice will really pay dividends. On Page 9, Assembly sequence 9 Overview of the electric cable connections between the base unit and base cover after assembly.

Not being an electrical engineer this assembly sequence (9) left me scratching my rapidly balding head. You see the instruction ask you to: "Connect the BLACK wire from the starter switch to the BLACK wire from the voltage regulator (speed control)…" The problem is that there is more than one black wire coming from the voltage regulator (speed control)! So in front of the word BLACK in the above quoted assembly instructions I want you to insert the word SHORT. So now it should read "Connect the SHORT BLACK wire from the starter switch to the SHORT BLACK wire from the voltage regulator (speed control)…" NOTE: Don't worry about the word SHORT being placed in front of the starter switches black wire, because that wire is also short so technically it is still correct.

Also note that in this step you will be attaching the RED wires from both the voltage regulator (speed control) and the starter switch to their respective battery terminals as specified in the instructions. Here is where you will use the two small nut and bolt combinations specified above. Now you may ask: "Why don't you identify which of the two red wires from the voltage regulator (speed control) to connect to the battery terminal?" The answer is, at least in the case with my kit, that both red wires end with little round terminal loops, ready for connection. So no confusion there, though I see later in the instructions (Page 11, Assembly sequence 15 to Page 12, Assembly sequence 18) that they allow for a version of this kit where the two SHORT RED wires in question do not end in the terminal loops. In that case, the word SHORT again becomes your wire identifier.

On Page 13 you are shown the assembly sequence for securing the nut that will help the battery cover to stay on. There is only one of these special apertures. Note that this where you will use the nut from the partially threaded screw mentioned previously. The thin clear plastic washer and screw will be used later.

Note that on Page 14, Assembly sequence 22, that the upright support is top/bottom handed and will only attach to the base one way! Make sure that on Assembly sequence 24 you thread the two LONG wires (1 x Black and 1 x Red) out of the TOP COVER into the UPRIGHT SUPPORT before proceeding to the next page.

A word of caution on page 15, Assembly sequence 25. Before you button up the top cover (with support unit) on to the base unit, make sure your wires are all sorted out and that none are going to get pinched between the top and the base or that they will get in the way of the control lever travel.

On page 16 during Assembly sequence 30, you will be introduced to the kit part INNER ENGINE NACELLE AND PYLON HALF. On this part you will notice that there are two wires running from the lights that you will thread up the engine pylon. It was at this point in the assembly that the thought struck me: "If I want to hide these wires from view, and they WILL be visible, now would be the time." I did nothing to hide them in my case, I'm merely pointing out to the more realistically minded modelers out there that now is the time to do this. I do have a few thoughts on how I would do it, but I would love to hear yours.

The next step I will offer advice on is Page 18 Assembly sequence 36. The instructions ask you to "Secure the lower aerofoil (sic Must be how the English spell it!) to the upright support unit using two screws". The problem is that none of the screws you have left will do the job! The hole is just too wide! What you need is two MORE of the screws with the integral washer! Just like the two you used on Assembly sequence 34. Lucky for me I keep a collection of bits and bobs and I quickly sourced a couple of replacements. They were different from each other but, no worries, they will be covered when you close up the AEROfoil. Unfortunately you are going to have to do the same. Good luck.

In Assembly sequence 38 on Page 19, take care when attaching the fan blade on to the motor spindle so as not to break it. Note that it must be pushed quite far down on the spindle for the outer casing to fit properly without any gaps that air can leak out of. Pay special attention to the note on the instructions that admonish you to "…fully push…" the fan blade onto the motor spindle "…to prevent rubbing on the outer casing."

The balance of the assembly is quite straight forward, just take your time putting the fan blades on the engine spindle, double checking with the pictures in the instructions as to which go where. Honestly I was quite surprised at how tight the everything needed to fit on the engine spindle to get the two bushings to line up.

Well you've done it. Congratulations! Now stand back and look with pride at your wondrous creation. Wondrous? Yes. You will wonder where to put the extra decal and wonder why something seemingly so well engineered spins in the wrong direction when you turn it on!

20161023_001109.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back