AirVenture (Oshkosh) 2014

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
Paul usually starts one of these and it's a couple of weeks past, but here are some of the highlights from the week of Oshkosh. I know you took a few, Paul, so let's see some of yours as well, and anyone else who was there.

Temco TT-1 Super Pinto

Scott Yoak's P-51 D Mustang "Quick Silver"

USAF Thunderbirds

Korean War jets

A-1 Skyraiders in for the kill

Fairey Gannett arrival

Geico Skytypers

Something for the helo fans

MV-22 Osprey

Thanks guys. There were some gorgeous aircraft there. Some of the vintage stuff looked factory new. I even took a helicopter ride for the first time in a LONG time.

GeeBee QED replica, like the original, but a two seat and much larger.

Skip Stewart and Melissa Pemberton doing an act called "Tinstix"

USAF and Canadian T-33

Even seeing it with my own eyes, it was tough to fathom 10,000+ airplanes there

A6M2 Model 21

A-37 Dragonfly

FLS Microjet, an updated BD-5J

When your ears and your eyes don't match up, a turbine powered Mustang replica!

You did fine with the new camera, Paul. I even caught you using it.

LOL I didn't even know you took that one Still going through photos, I have around 500 to 600 to go through which I know didn't even touch your number LOL

Just wished they would have put all three of those P-38's in the air at once. That would have been a treat.

DHC-4 Caribou

After the rains on Tuesday, a rainbow over the office on the field.

Saturday's crowds

Melissa Pemberton cutting the ribbon

One feckin' gorgeous Cessna 140

US Coast Guard rescue demo

NASA WB-57

Mike Wiskus racing Bill Braack in the jetcar

Yeah, I had over 16,000 photos! But I was there from Sunday through Saturday, every day. And every day it was easily 12 hours or more per day on the field for me. While I enjoyed the Thunderbirds, I think that took away some of the warbird programs. I would have loved to see the Gannett fly more than one pass, and three P-38s would have been awesome. It would have been good to see the B-24 up with the B-17 too.

Don't ask me why but last couple of years seemed better then this year. Then again supposedly they announced that Doc will make an appearance next year and they are hoping to get Fifi there as well. That would be a site.

I have heard that from more than a few people. The crowd line change for the Thunderbirds definitely created some confusion and screwed things up for the media. But they said the Saturday and Sunday crowds were the best they had been in years, and up 20% from last year for those 2 days. The rains screwed up a couple of days for sure, but the camp sites and aircraft parking were full by mid week. Maybe they were missing some of the Poberezny magic. He certainly got a lot of tributes this year.

The loss of a couple of aircraft over the course of the week didn't help.

Users who are viewing this thread