Alberta Military Model Show (2012)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
As promised, though a day late, I'm starting this new thread to cover the entries in this year's Alberta Military Model Show. As with last year, the show was held at the Military Museum here in Calgary in the main hall that features restored aircraft, naval guns, and many other artifacts:

120915138.jpg

120915139.jpg

I've tried to capture at least one picture of every entry, though I did leave out figurines and various entries that were there for display only. So you'll see in the following posts many aircraft, ships, tanks, guns, and other military vehicles, all of which were done to an extremely high caliber of quality.

To my knowledge, two members of our forum were present, Mike Grant (Migrant), as well as myself and I invite Mike to chime in and post any pics that he's taken in addition to mine. Mike and I entered 3 models each in the advanced single engined prop category, and I entered my Me410 Intruder in the multi-engined prop category as a 4th entry. My 3 entries in the former category are all posted elsewhere on this forum so I won't bore you with more pictures of those. These were my Steinhoff Bf-109F, my Burma-based Spitfire Mk VIII DG-R with the "dragon tatoo", and my just-completed Spitfire Mk Vb YO-A. None of these placed in the top 3 but I'm proud to have been considered in such auspicious company as Mike and others who, as you will see, produced some exemplary works.\

So without further ado, I present the winning entries in the single engined prop category and I apologize if I get my orders mixed up as I'm going by memory here, not having bothered with notes this time. Mike took 1st and third with these superb 1/72 models. Congratulations Mike!

12091520.jpg

12091521.jpg

Second went to this equally impressive 1/72 scale Spitfire Mk I

12091527.jpg

As consolation, I'm happy to report that my Me 410 took top honours in the best night fighter category, for which I got a hundred bucks (which compensated perfectly for my silent a auction bid) and a nice trophy. Unfortunately, I ran out of space on my card and did not get a pic but I'll post some as soon as the website for the show is updated.

That's it for now. More to come soon.

Thanks for posting those Andy, and everyone for the words of congrats; I guess I'll tag-team and post some of my pics too. Although you haven't posted your entries Andy they more than merit being seen again, so here they are:-

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042-2.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

The lovely 1/72 Spit was built by Dan Mackay, who also entered these in the same scale:

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Wow. Love the Brewster and your wwI fighter takes the cake! I would have thought that was 1/48th scale! Well done gents and look forward to the pics. Not a mediocre one in the bunch so far. I'm really impressed.

Cheers guys. Here are a few more from the advanced single prop category - all runners up and, as you can see, all high quality entries.

Mike's 3rd entry, a 1/72 scale Mustang:

12091522.jpg

Another 1/72 Mustang:

12091523.jpg

Another view of Dan's 1/72 scale P-40

12091529.jpg

..and 3 shots of a 1/48 Tamiya Corsair:

12091524.jpg

12091525.jpg

120915148.jpg

Here's another pic of Yuri Hul's F4U in 1/48:

IMG_0051.jpg

Next is Mike Tanguay's 1/72 C-47 from the Italeri kit.

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

1/48 P-38J in the Intermediate class, not sure of the builder.

IMG_0047.jpg

Thanks for posting Mike. I didn't know these chaps. Are they all with the Rocky Mountain Club or where do you know them from?

Most of them have been in the RMMC, and are no longer; others I just know from around town and through the decal business. Some of us get together outside of an 'organised' club environment for coffee/beer and to talk modelling. Let me know if you'd be interested in that Andy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back