Alberta Military Model Show, Calgary (2013)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Migrant

Senior Airman
Aug 7, 2008
Calgary AB
This year's show was held yesterday at the usual venue, the Military Museum. Good to catch up with Andy (Crimea River) and to meet Cory (Catch 22), both of whom walked away with hardware The contest was fairly small but a good mix of genres/subjects. Judging went to the olympic style (gold, silver, bronze in each category) for the first time, which cuts down the judging time significantly although it was still a loooong day...

On to the pics. Some models you may have seen before in Andy's WCR thread, and I must apologise for the lighting in some of these shots as it was far from ideal for photography. Anyway, starting with some 1/72 entries:

Dan Mackay's Sword 1/72 Vultee P66 Vanguard.

MPM 1/72 SAAF Boston III, built by Massimo Santarossa. Award winner in its category

Airfix 1/72 Bf110 by Mike Tanguay, another award winner.

That was quick Mike! Thanks for getting these pics together and starting this thread. Although I did not take any pics this year, I know Cory did and will likely post a few.

Thanks guys. The categories were a little odd this year, as mixed scales were grouped together. So there were 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48 single-prop fighters all competing with each other in the same category. However they were separated into basic, intermediate and advanced skill levels so at least you didn't have a novice builder pitting his 1/144 Spit against an advanced builder's 1/48 Bf109. Some more 72's:

Massimo Santarossa's Special Hobby 1/72 RCAF Digby Mk.1.

Dan Mackay's a really talented 1/72 builder, these three of his were in the advanced, single-engine category. That's the Airfix Zero, which I believe took a silver.

Terry, there are two main shows in Alberta that get posted here. The Western Canadian Regional is in June and this one is in September so maybe you're thinking of the June show.

On to the bigger aircraft scales.

Nicely finished Italeri 1/48 Macchi MC.200, built by Massimo Santarossa.

Also from Massimo, this Hasegawa 1/48 Spit VIII.

Two big 1/32 CF-18s, both very well done. Not sure of the builder (maybe Andy or Cory knows?).

I didn't catch the builder of the Hornets Mike. Looks like I need to keep my eyes on Massimo next year as he always seems to enter lots of great-looking models.

I didn't catch the builder of the Hornets Mike. Looks like I need to keep my eyes on Massimo next year as he always seems to enter lots of great-looking models.

Yeah, Massimo's a really good (and prolific) modeler. A lot of his stuff appears in SAM magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread