"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In other news, the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court announced he has opened an investigation into potential war crimes by Russia during its invasion of Ukraine.

Karim Khan wrote that in a "preliminary examination of the Situation in Ukraine, my Office had already found a reasonable basis to believe crimes within the jurisdiction of the Court had been committed, and had identified potential cases that would be admissible".

The chief prosecutor said on Monday he intended to seek authorisation from the court's presidency to open the inquiry, but a referral by the UK and 38 other nations to the court meant he now intended to launch the investigation immediately.

With 39 different countries--including all 27 members of the EU, Canada, New Zealand and Switzerland--initiating the complaint, this is the largest ever referral to the ICC.

Not sure this will go anywhere...but it's a start.

Last edited:
Everyday passes and I more and more understand what my 1st grade teacher told us ...

"Only bastards become politians" ...
Of course, because people who are self-centered, arrogant, power-hungry, and amoral are often excellent in the qualities needed to amass power if they're also smart. They aren't limited by moral conventions, they aren't concerned about other commitments except when it suits their purposes, and once you remove decency, compassion, and empathy from a human mind -- you're just left with the will to win.

Just a question in my mind ...

Why they don't recycle old equipment? Instead of making war to get rid of them???

Everyday passes and I more and more understand what my 1st grade teacher told us ...

"Only bastards become politians" ...
:lol: Artesh, I hope one day I have the pleasure of sharing a pot of tea with you.

The Soviet doctrine was to never throw anything away. I imagine there a thousands of T-55 tanks stored somewhere just in case the T-72s don't get through.
There are. Some (many?) have been upgraded with laser rangefinder, digital fire control and new 100mm ATGM's that can be fired through the gun tube.

74FF21E9-66FD-4D46-A2D0-1B29926C10B5.png

The guy with the dodgy AK has a white armband.

That signifies Russian side but from Donetsk Luhansk so he is not regular army. Prob some irregular with 2nd hand me out kit.

Haven't they dumped most of their T-55s into Africa and Middle East, fueling the multiple wars there in the 1960s-90s ?

Russia has several thousand T55 T72 and T80 tanks in reserve - most are T72. Having them in reserve means they have been parked up
somewhere with the latest types the are in reserve being so since around 2008 and the oldest since 1992.

The questions are have any been cannibalised for parts over time, what state of readiness are they in considering the problems that seem
to be surfacing with the already active units, and how many have had upgrades to make them currently viable ?

The Spanish defense minister said on Wednesday that Spain will be sending grenade launchers and machine guns to Ukraine amid Russia's ongoing invasion into the country.

"In this first shipment that will go aboard two planes, we expect to send 1,370 anti-tank grenade launchers, 700,000 rifle and machine-gun rounds, and light machine guns," Defense Minister Margarita Robles told Antena3 television, Reuters reported.

"It is very important because (the equipment) allows for a very individualized defense that can be used even by people who do not have much experience using weapons," she added.

Great weapons to help an insurgency.

... and:

A Kremlin spokesperson on Wednesday said that the Russian economy was taking "serious blows" amid sanctions imposed by foreign governments as Moscow continues its attack on Ukraine.

"Russia's economy is experiencing serious blows," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said during a call with foreign reporters, according to CNN.

"But there is a certain margin of safety, there is potential, there are some plans, work is underway," he added.

Peskov's remarks came after a question about a comment made by President Biden during Tuesday night's State of the Union address.

"Russia's economy is reeling and Putin alone is to blame," Biden said in his speech.

[...]

Since Moscow's invasion of Ukraine, Western countries have imposed harsh sanctions on the country.

Read a little more, but you've got the gist of the article:

Back to the discussion about Russian equipment. Since the fall of the Soviet Union (and probably long before) they have always had issues with equipment.

I certainly don't think they are what they used to be, or what we thought they were. Russian doctrine was always to overpower with superior numbers. How do you think they beat the Germans in WW2?

I actually worked with Russian soldiers in Kosovo back in 2002-2003. There equipment was atrocious. They did not even have winter boots. I had one soldier offer to trade me his bayonet if I bought him a pair of US Army winter boots from the camp PX.

Their aviation unit had Mi-24 Hinds. They were constantly grounded for maintenance largely due to lack of parts, and aircraft looked like they were maintained by a kindergarten class. I remember sitting in the aircraft and thinking it would come apart.
My brother was over there working on Afghan Russian supplied helicopters with Russain maintenance personnel installing western equipment into the helicopters. He reported a similar concept of Russian equipment. He said interchangeability between aircraft were problematic. He also had a laser to, I believe, set the boresight on the vehicle and the Russian was amazed at it. He told them it was theirs under contract. He said they were good guys to work with.

Even if Pootface is charged with war crimes, how the hell are you going to arrest his nasty a$$?
It can happen, for example:
Slobodan Milošević and Radovan Karadžić of Serbia.

Then there was Nicolae Ceaușescu of Romania, though he didn't make it to an international court.

Y'know, I can't fathom the obscene amount of money a person must have to afford a $600M yacht. I mean, really, it's more than $1M per foot of length. Meanwhile, I have to be content with the rubber ducky in my bathtub. Life just isn't fair sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back