"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spent fuel rods need to spend several years under water after they've been extracted from the core. There are several short lived, but highly radioactive isotopes that need to decay inside these spend fuel rods. These emit heat in addition to strong radiation. Water cools them and absorb most of the radiation, ensuring that, after a few years, no major nuclear reaction is happening inside them. This is the real bane of nuclear reactors using uranium fuel (unless it's enriched to very high levels, like it's done in sub reactors). You can't simply pull out a spent fuel rod and stash it somewhere, like you would do with an exhausted battery.

wow...tell me if this doesn't sound like a headline from the 1940's but with different players...

Ben Wallace:
"However, the capability needs strengthening, so in response to Ukrainian requests the Government have taken the decision to explore the donation of Starstreak high-velocity, man-portable anti-air missiles."

Legally all of the above are acts of war. I'm not sure why all the shilly-shallying over airplanes when we've already broken that law.

Yes, but there's a subtle difference. An aircraft flying from NATO territory into Ukraine could easily be the first wave of a NATO offensive. It's readily visible on radar. It's easy to see how Russia would consider that a much more provocative action than driving a truck full of boxes across the border (which can't really be detected).

I agree that it ought to be possible to simply drag them over the border, just as American aircraft made it to Canada prior to December 1941. However, that's a substantial logistical challenge, even assuming there are suitable highways at the border that could be used as a take-off runway.

wow...tell me if this doesn't sound like a headline from the 1940's but with different players...

I thought the Germans were waiting for colder weather to freeze the mud. Assuming they can find gas isn't the cold better for the Russians?

Yes, but there's a subtle difference. An aircraft flying from NATO territory into Ukraine could easily be the first wave of a NATO offensive.
Does that same logic prevent Ukraine from receiving MLRS rocket launchers? They're an effective counter-battery weapon and can hit the Russian launch sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back