Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Revoulutionary War

• Civil War

• Desert Storm or any other military conflict

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There was a made for TV movie made in Canada back in the 90's that I thought was excellent. It was about the Dieppe raid, and it was called "Dieppe", appropriately enough. A few liberties were taken by the producers, and it may not have been quite 100% accurate with the characterization of every figure in question, but it was extremely well made and captured the essence of what transpired. It featured interviews with surviving veterans at the end, and every one of them thought that the film was extremely well made.

However, it was told entirely from the Canadian perspective, and there wasn't much focus on the British contribution. That was the one part that bugged me a little. Overall though it was an excellent film.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention Bridge over the River Kwai. Great movie.

Oh and awesome new sig Gnomey!

Oh yeah, my favorite WWI movie would have to be the Lost Battalion. Great movie, very well done. Sad about what happened to those men.

What was the name of the forest they were at? The only Civil War movie ive ever seen was Gods and Generals. Great movie. Was mainly about good old Stonewall Jackson.

Oh yeah, favorite Revoulitionary War movie would have to be The Patriot with Mel Gibson portraying the "Swamp Fox" who ambushed several British troops during the war as they made movement through Marshes.

Yep there is a movie called Midway.

I saw a movie about 20 years ago on the BBC about a group of Canadian Soldiers that were waiting to go home from WWI (It may have been WWII, but WWI stick in my mind). They wait and wait and end up rioting, which causes several of them to get killed. I remember it being real well done, but cannot remember the name of it, or who was in it.

I'd have to go with WW II movies. My favorite is Band of Brothers, although it is really more of a mini-series. Some other's that I like include: Saving Private Ryan, Patton, Schindler's List, Sink the Bismarck!, Das Boot, Platoon, The Thin Red Line ('98 version), and Paths of Glory. I also like The Blue Max a lot. It's not a great movie, but the flying scenes are so very nice. I've got Twelve O'Clock High, and Hell's Angels but I haven't watched either one so I don't know about them, yet. I'm sure I'll think of a few others.

Anyone have seen the Dark Blue World? I think, based on my knowledge on Czechoslovak pilots, it's a lovestroy crap instead of a tribute to them.......... If I were the director, I'd make it A LOT different............

I prefer WWII war movies. At the moment I have over 60 war movies on DVD!!

Favourite WWI movies - The Lighthorsemen
Anzacs
All quiet on the Western Front (remade version)
Gallipoli
The Blue Max

WWII - Too late the Hero
Midway
Cross Of Iron
The Eagle Has Landed
The Desert rats
A Wing And A Prayer
Away All Boats
Between Heaven And Hell
From Here to Eternity plus many more

Vietnam - Odd Angry Shot
Platoon
We Were Soldiers

Pisis said:
Anyone have seen the Dark Blue World? I think, based on my knowledge on Czechoslovak pilots, it's a lovestroy crap instead of a tribute to them.......... If I were the director, I'd make it A LOT different............

I saw it, and I was dissapointed in the love story thrown in. I have no idea why they threw that in as this movie was going to be watched by men, not woman.

The aerlial scenes were good though. I liked the clip of when the spits intercepted that single german bomber.

P38 The bridges of Toko-ri was a pretty good Korean war film but the book was much better.

My choice

Shindlers list
Brothers in arms.
Tunes of Glory (no action but Alec Guiness is stunning)
Das Boot
The Hill (Sean Connerys best role)
Ice cold in Alex
The Caine Mutiny
Tora Tora Tora
All Quite of the Western Front (old but a land mark film The remake WC was awful Borgnine wasnt bad but John boy was terrible)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back