Alzheimer’s (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
I saw this poem on the US 6th armored division website.

Alzheimer's Cure

Sometimes at night he crawled up the hall.
He wasn't playing a game at all.
He was living again once more
Those fearful days of '44,
Fighting again the Second World War.
No, he wasn't playing a game at all,
Those mysterious times he crawled up the hall.

That's what Alzheimer's does to the brain…
Things are real—the fear and the pain.
It was real to him, the shrapnel flying
With buddies all around him dying,
And valiant men reduced to crying.
That's what Alzheimer's does to the brain…
It's real again—the fear and the pain.

Alzheimer's, sadly, has no cure.
Victim and family must just endure.
But those who have made Christ their choice
Will at last one day rejoice
In Heaven with a healthy voice.
While Alzheimer's here has no cure,
Alzheimer's isn't in Heaven—that's sure1!
By Pat Lennon
September 26, 2006
(dedicated to the memory of her husband, Horace,
who crawled up the hall one night at Pendleton
Manor, while warning his buddies to stay back)

Great post Sys - my dad currently has Alzheimer's - we found out this week his days are short. It's not that big of a blow to me because he's been "gone" for about 4 or 5 years now. We'll endure and move on....

dnag Joe I am so sorry. my brother in-law at 53 had early onset Alzheimers, it was a horro story for some 5 years, the poor guy would leave his wife and hike all around Portland,OR for hours somehow managing to get home, she was fighting terrible cancer during this terrible episode. I have never seen a person age so fast in all my life, he was at least 6 foot 3 inchs tall and this evil reduced him to a shell of 5' 7", losing his mind staring at us, lost all speech and walking like a penquin, he finally passed away due to a heart attack which was truley a blessing in disguise

what a horror this stuff is..........

Did anyone get my advice about drinking orange juice with pulp ?

And yes Senility and Alzheimers is a terrible thing, worse than cancer by far.

So remember the daily dose of orange juice with pulp, that should keep this from happening to any of you.

Great post Sys - my dad currently has Alzheimer's - we found out this week his days are short. It's not that big of a blow to me because he's been "gone" for about 4 or 5 years now. We'll endure and move on....

Been in your shoes Joe .. I feel your pain and am sorry..My mom had Alzheimer's and was strange ...She seem to always know who people were around her for the most part .. It was other things she would forget...Her heart stopped thats what took her ... Before it got real bad...I know she is in a better place ..And would not of wanted to be in the state she was going to real fast...Sorry Joe..Alzheimer's can be real hard on the family

Flyboy, sorry to hear about your father. One never knows how much a father means until he is gone.

Thanks for the kind words guys - because we have had time to prepare for this, it seems things will be easier in the end. I'm going to see my folks in about 2 weeks....

That was so nice and it let you feel the pain of seeing it. My grandmother have Alzheimer's and guys let me tell you it breaks you up to see a loved one in such a state.

That poem brought tears to my eyes.

my mother have alzheimer, she is fighting the disease and if you see her, she looks like pretty good, theres only a few moments shes lost the memory, but shes allright.

for me the best way to treat this deasease is love. you guys would think im talking BS but is not. i never pass 1 day without says i love her, and take her to rides, put her in movement and incentivates her always to be independent and make many soft activities. shes 71, but you might think shes 50 if you look her. im proud of her.

you know, i dont know nothing about medicines and the progress of researches, i just kikck the sadness out and try to live everyday more funny as possible with her. thats my message.

my mother have alzheimer, she is fighting the disease and if you see her, she looks like pretty good, theres only a few moments shes lost the memory, but shes allright.

for me the best way to treat this deasease is love. you guys would think im talking BS but is not. i never pass 1 day without says i love her, and take her to rides, put her in movement and incentivates her always to be independent and make many soft activities. shes 71, but you might think shes 50 if you look her. im proud of her.

you know, i dont know nothing about medicines and the progress of researches, i just kikck the sadness out and try to live everyday more funny as possible with her. thats my message.

So true mate.

FLYBOYJ, you have my sympathies. Sorry to hear this happen to anyone.

This I think is the worst disease you can have. My grandmother had a series of strokes, but she was diagnosed with alzheimers as well. It was about the saddest thing I have had to go through so far in my life to see this woman I had so much love for and whom I had learned so much from start to slowly slip away from us. I do consider it fortunate that she died of heart failure before she was totally lost to lost to us. Over the course of the years after she was diagnosed, she started to change, she would say mean and hurtful things to her family. The woman I knew barely even swore. I am very thankful that she passed away while she still could remember all of our names, and her lifetime of memories, and before she lost herself totally.

Thanks folks!

Right now I'm in Kingman Az visiting my parents - my dad has little short term memory - he forgets why he went into the next room. It's funny, when it comes to money he's as sharp as a tack, no one is cheating him when he goes to the store!

What's funny is re remembers things 30 and 40 years ago - he knows he has problems and been real good about letting my mom handle things. All we could do is make things comfortable for him in his last years.

Joe

yes just make him comfortable and enjoy him in all ways.........

both my folks-in-laws are going through the very painful loss of short term memory, they pull things out of the hat when they were kids clear up to about 10 years ago. We have present conversations and then it is brought up again 5 minutes or less and then too often repeated.........specific details of the present are easily forgotten, doctor apts., medications, too soon we will have to have their drivers license pulled .............. very scarey at times.

~ Just give them the dignity they deserve and try to act like it is all new with their questions.

it's tough

E ~

Thanks folks!

Right now I'm in Kingman Az visiting my parents - my dad has little short term memory - he forgets why he went into the next room. It's funny, when it comes to money he's as sharp as a tack, no one is cheating him when he goes to the store!

What's funny is re remembers things 30 and 40 years ago - he knows he has problems and been real good about letting my mom handle things. All we could do is make things comfortable for him in his last years.

its nice hear that beside his problem he still being very sharp in some stuffs like deal with money and past memories, its a great deal he keeps that shape man !

ps: sometimes another brain degenerative diseases lighter than alzheimer are confused with alzheimer by docs. the blurs in brain tissue sometimes makes docs diagnostic alzheimer but its not. my advice for you mate:

dont allow doctor full your dad with manny drugs. if a doc is giving too much drugs for him, just quit and search another doc. i had a very unpleasant experience with a guy who was giving a huge amount of drugs to my mom, we quit the MF and then she came back to walk and remember things more easily.

just an advice by my own experience ok ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back