Americans are not #1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I could have told you that !! Lots of tourists in Va. Beach, and the
French are the absolute worst ! I would rate the Canadians as #1,
as far as being polite...

Charles

Having the odd tourist (20million)visiting this town with a population of 80000
there list is some what different then my list , and the Americans aren't even on my list . The folks from India and Pakistan area are very demanding and cheap , the Japanese are awesome just don't confuse them with Koreans and and Chinese but the ones I disliked dealing with as pushy and rude were the Israelis

Having the odd tourist (20million)visiting this town with a population of 80000
there list is some what different then my list , and the Americans aren't even on my list . The folks from India and Pakistan area are very demanding and cheap , the Japanese are awesome just don't confuse them with Koreans and and Chinese but the ones I disliked dealing with as pushy and rude were the Israelis
How about all those folks from Ohio driving around the falls area aimlessly?!?! My memories of the the area! :evil4:

How about all those folks from Ohio driving around the falls area aimlessly?!?! My memories of the the area! :evil4:
I've been a tourist as well and people must have commented on the moron from Ontario driving, here is just goofy as most people do not know where they are or going or where they've been and the amount of the tourists at one time enhances my driving

And also develops quickness to lay on the horn or thow out "the finger." :evil4:
I've developed a trick .Usually at an intersection or cross walk you tend to make eye contact with the opposing driver. I don't
so they have no clue as to my intentions and usually cede to me

I think it depends on where you live and the amount of tourists you get from what countries.

If I had to pick the worst 5 that come to Germany it would be:

1. USA
2. France
3. Italy
4. England
5. Turkey

The reason I would pick the USA as first (and remember I am an American) is because around here they really are loud, they demand that everyone speaks english to them, and frankly they are rude. Of course this is not all of them, but a large percentage of them. I do not think it is the American tourists per say but mostly the US soldiers that are here.

The reason I would pic France is because frankly they are rather loud, demand that everyone speak there lovely french. Again this is not all French though.

The Italians and English for pretty much the same thing, but not as bad as the top two.

The Turks well you will just have to live here to understand. As a matter of fact if the US was ranked as 10 (10 being the worst) then Turkey in place 5 would be 9.1.

Hold on a mo Chris We hardly win any sports these days cant we at least get gold in the Olympic free style tourist event. Benidorm mid summer with the all England slob family, all wanting fish and chips cause they "dont like that foreign muck". Turning bright red as they cant count over 10 on the sun screen bottles and calling every Spanish waiter Manuel.
I get on well with most people, been to our German equipment suppliers in Koblenz a couple of times via Frankfurt Hahn and we all had a great time.
Wife and I have friends in Wenatachee WS.Torres Cabrera in Sierra Nevada (Spain) a few other places.
Turks (and I have worked with quite a few) I am not very keen on.
I would'nt say the Americains are that bad as tourists they can be a bit undiplomatic and call a spade a spade but as long as they dont mind it back no problem, very much the same as Yorkshire folk in the UK.
On the whole I find most tourists ok. Its the ones who say, in my country they would'nt do this, that or the other, then I want to slap them straight in the mooee (sorry) gob hole.

My first choice if I had to pick one would be the Saudies they really do think every Western girl is willing to **** for ten quid when the visit the UK

Hold on a mo Chris We hardly win any sports these days cant we at least get gold in the Olympic free style tourist event. Benidorm mid summer with the all England slob family, all wanting fish and chips cause they "dont like that foreign muck". Turning bright red as they cant count over 10 on the sun screen bottles and calling every Spanish waiter Manuel.
I get on well with most people, been to our German equipment suppliers in Koblenz a couple of times via Frankfurt Hahn and we all had a great time.
Wife and I have friends in Wenatachee WS.Torres Cabrera in Sierra Nevada (Spain) a few other places.
Turks (and I have worked with quite a few) I am not very keen on.
I would'nt say the Americains are that bad as tourists they can be a bit undiplomatic and call a spade a spade but as long as they dont mind it back no problem, very much the same as Yorkshire folk in the UK.
On the whole I find most tourists ok. Its the ones who say, in my country they would'nt do this, that or the other, then I want to slap them straight in the mooee (sorry) gob hole.

My first choice if I had to pick one would be the Saudies they really do think every Western girl is willing to **** for ten quid when the visit the UK

I agree with you completely. My post was not to imply that all Brits were bad tourists. I myself have never met a Brit I did not like.

I'm not surprise at all with the article of The Time, I'm often shocked when I see or hear my compatriots communicate with travellers.
I'm leaving in the center of France in Loire Valley, one of the most touristic french region and I sometime wanted to become transparent for these tourist not see me near some of my compatriot.
Even simple civism is difficult from french to french, so can you imagine dealing with "tourists" (I've put brackets because this word is pejorative in certain frenchies mouths).
I did not traveled much but each time, before leaving I was told by people that I wasn't asking anything : "You will see british or canadians are like that, bla bla, ..." all the "advises" were bullshits, preconceived ideas.
But as told me Stephany before she leaves France, a US woman from Dayton which helped my daughter to increased her english level, they didn't experiment french administration ! Ah, ah, ah better manage with the tourists, believe me.
Joke apart, hope all of you will meet nice french people one day, I know some.
Personally I enjoyed so much northern Europe : Sweden and Danmark.
Salutations from a french citizen.

Having traveled extensively in both the US and France, and between the two, I have to say that the last article in the linked column is spot on. It really does come down to money afterall.

It's been my observation that, while all tourists no matter where they are, wish to gain the most value for their money, the French are particularly Euro-pinchers when it comes to costs. Bargain hunting is a full-time job there, wether you're on vacation or not. They simply like to get the most bang out of their Euro, and if they don't - they're aren't afraid to voice their displeasure. Americans, even when they might feel let down, are more the kind to say nothing and accept their loss. The tipping aspect is a great example. In France, tips (le pour-boire) are included in the overall total costs of things, whereas in the US we are used to tipping a certain percentage on top on the total. Switch the two peoples around, and you get one group that doesn't tip at all, and another group that tips on top of a tip. :lol:

In general, I think the article is fair, though I think it should be emphasized that the French tend to be rude to their fellow citizens rather than to foreigners - France didn't become the #1 tourist destination in the world for having rude hosts. But I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they're simply not afraid to speak their minds, whereas I find Americans to be much more reserved and timid - or "out of respect" so I often hear :rolleyes: .

My personal and most memorable encounters:

A French family of tourists in Washington D.C. pointing out really fat people and wanting (going so far as to ASK!! )to have their photos of them to prove it.

An American couple in Paris, complaining loudly to their hotel concierge that the door to their room had a turning handle, as opposed to the round door knob like in the good-ole USA. Maybe it was the jet-lag? :lol:

As for most racist, I look toward the Pacific Rim for that, in particular the Chinese and Koreans.

Ha that is funny!

Get ready for someone to come in here and get all mad though! No names are needed I am sure.

:lol:

I know you weren't speaking of me......8) Sorry if I dissapoint!

I remember hearing all kinds of sh*t about the French before I ever visited France, but first time there I found them only to be nice people (The soldiers police are atleast :D ). Paris is where the snobs are.

Koreans. Most rude SOBs on the planet. They don't like the way you look or act, you would think someone hung a dog turd under their nose. And once you get to know them, they are nice people, but the same rude [by western standards] continue. Just their culture I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back