AndrewR's 1/72nd Academy Hawker Typhoon 1b (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AndrewR

Airman
Jul 14, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hello everyone, here's my first work in progress on the forum. I've been on vacation, during the heat wave here in North America, and I've been building an Academy Typhoon as a little relaxation, in between swimming. :) I only brought a minimum set of modelling gear with me, basically everything I could cram into one plastic container, so this will be out of box and hand painted with Vallejo paints.

The box-art. Nice kit, good detail in cockpit and wheel wells. Rockets provided, but no bombs. Both 3 and 4 bladed propellors are included, but the horizontal stabilizers are the small ones for the 3 bladed version.

106100_2545_640x480_.jpg

I've never got on that well with Academy decals, so I bought a sheet of Techmod decals for 4 different Typhoons. My original interntion was to do one one of the stripey versions, but for simplicity during the vacation build I'm going to do the Mid-stone/Earth Brown/Azure Middle Eastern variant. I'm going to take a big liberty and hang rockets off it, although I suspect that really it would have been bomb-laden. Only three machines went to the Middle East, for testing in 1943.

737100_2550_resize.jpg

It's gone together very well so far. The cockpit was painted in Vallejo black-grey (as I'd forgotten to bring the black...!) and then drybrushed with neutral grey, white and silver.

326100_2546_640x480_.jpg

A tiny bit of filler was necessary at the wing roots and at the front of the radiator.

396100_2547_640x480_.jpg

Vallejo middle stone and azure on so far. Painting in the heat proved to be a mixed blessing. The paint dried very quickly. It would be tricky to make up a custom mix and get it all painted, so I used the colours straight from the Vallejo squeezy bottles.

660100_2548_640x480_.jpg

Next step is to paint the dark earth.

646100_2549_640x480_.jpg

cheers

Andrew

Nice work you got going on Andrew and may I add it's good to see you back. I am building the same exact kit but in a different paint scheme. I like your choice a lot better. If you go back and look at my workbench thread you'll see all the issues I've been having. I'm ready to toss mine in the trash.

Nice work you got going on Andrew and may I add it's good to see you back. I am building the same exact kit but in a different paint scheme. I like your choice a lot better. If you go back and look at my workbench thread you'll see all the issues I've been having. I'm ready to toss mine in the trash.

Thanks Dirk. I've taken some liberties with this. It should be a car door version, and have a tropical filter under the wings on the centreline. I've no gear here to do any scratchbuilding, so it'll just have to do. It's just a stress free build , and boy, do I need stress free... :)

Cheers

Andrew

I noticed it was suppose to have the car door but who cares. Sometimes you need to build what you want the way you want rivet counters be damned. That is the exact same place I am with my Academy Typhoon.

That looks real nice Andrew,and an unusual scheme for a Typhoon and as you said stress free.I know how you feel in that heat when i was in Turkmenistan last month it was 115 degrees in the workshop at 6 o,clock at night:shock: mid-day i felt like i was melting.Going to the airport coming home at 2 in the morning the bus shelters in the capital have temp read outs, 32 degrees i aint going in June again:evil: have you got air-con?

Martin

That looks real nice Andrew,and an unusual scheme for a Typhoon and as you said stress free.I know how you feel in that heat when i was in Turkmenistan last month it was 115 degrees in the workshop at 6 o,clock at night:shock: mid-day i felt like i was melting.Going to the airport coming home at 2 in the morning the bus shelters in the capital have temp read outs, 32 degrees i aint going in June again:evil: have you got air-con?

Martin

In Ottawa, yes. Up here at the lake, no. It's usually a bit cooler up here, particularly if you go down to the lakeside. Not as bad as your business trip, by any means!

Just to set the scene, here is the deck where I'm doing the modelling.

124100_2551R.jpg

And here is the goody box crammed with paint, and modelling supplies.

521100_2552R.jpg

Tidy it is not :)

Today's activity was painting on the dark earth camo. I actually used Vallejo English Uniform, which is probably a tiny bit pale, but looks okay when contrasted with the Middle Stone. (Let's hope the Scots, Welsh and Irish aren't too upset about not getting a mention in the uniform colour :lol: )

842100_2553R.jpg

You'll also notice the propellor is on. This just makes the plane look that much more complete. Several bits need a touch up with red, and the yellow tips need to be painted too. It's only push fitted on, I'll probably remove it for decalling.

155100_2554R.jpg

I also masked and painted the exhaust stubs. These are moulded on, and must rank as the most disappointing feature of the kit (apart from the lack of a pilot, naturally 8) ). I used my usual recipe of mixing Brown Ochre with a little Gold as the base coat, followed by painting the backs of the exhaust stubs in black, for shadow effects. Then the stubs get a drybrush with neutral grey to make them look oxidized.

148100_2555R.jpg

Finally, the wheel well detail was drybrushed with black to enhance the ribbing detail. I also painted the wheels.

219100_2556R.jpg

Next up: some decalling, then fitting of the rockets and undercarriage. Finally, I'll tackle the canopy. I really need some scotch tape, so I might have to wait until we go into town on Thursday to get some.

cheers

Andrew

My son did that Academy kit. A nice build that one. Very straight forward and good fit.

Yes, no problems with it so far. The only thing I can see is that the rockets have a separate tail piece which might be a bit fragile. It's also a pity they didn't mould the exhausts as separate pieces.

cheers

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back