AndrewR's 1/72nd Academy Hawker Typhoon 1b

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice looking build. Love the deck, unfortunately the only practical time I can use mine is from about 5 am to 8 am. Pushing 100 degrees here almost every day for the last three weeks.

That azure blue is VERY azure blue. Nice looking build though.

Yes, the azure blue is a bit strong, particularly for 1/72nd scale. But I'm doing this as an OOB (out of bottle :) ) build, as I don't have anything to mix paint into!
It looks a bit better in real life, I think the photos exaggerate the intensity a bit.

IMG_3794640x480.jpg

I put some decals on yesterday, but it was a bit of a disaster. Youngest son came charging into the room and tipped up the dish of water I was using to soak the decals. The water spilled all over the decal sheet, so I had to quickly salvage all of the decals for this build and get them on the model. I did manage to salvage some of the stencilling, but the upper wing roundels were beyond salvation. I'll have to get spare ones either from the Academy kit itself or more likely, from the Revel P51B kit which I have along with me.

IMG_3793640x480.jpg

Not all the decals are in place. After rushing with the wet decals, I couldn't face putting on the remainder. Stress free. Yeah, right... :)

IMG_3792640x480.jpg

Finally, the "Apres-Modelling" relaxation down by the lake. This is me with Monty the dog. I'm the one on the left :)

IMG_3779640x480.jpg

cheers

Andrew

Are you sure you are on the left? :lol: A joke of course !. :lol:

As far as the decal disaster is concerned.... just you should have put the decal sheet away and let it getting dry with sunlight. Later you could use it when soaked again.

Are you sure you are on the left? :lol: A joke of course !. :lol:

As far as the decal disaster is concerned.... just you should have put the decal sheet away and let it getting dry with sunlight. Later you could use it when soaked again.

The decals all floated off the backing paper and clumped together. Terrible mess!

I see. But you might have tried to split them up with a brush in the water and put onto the backing paper again , one by one.

I see. But you might have tried to split them up with a brush in the water and put onto the backing paper again , one by one.

The clock was ticking, and I just didn't have the time to try that. Fortunately I was able to save part of the sheet, and Techmod sheets aren't too expensive to replace. :)

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, looks to me like you have your priorities exactly correct. Nice work in a wonderful setting.

This is Lac St Pierre de Wakefield QC. Very nice!
We used to live in Saskatoon, but my wife's from Ottawa. Plus we needed better medical care for our youngest son, as he has autism. Hence my need for stress relief (bless him !). :)

I finally got the remaining decals on. I had to use the kit roundels, which were rather thick and didn't go on well. Unfortunately the Revell decals from the P51B kit were too small...

IMG_3795R.jpg

The starboard "B" serial broke into 4 pieces when I put it on :evil:

IMG_3796R.jpg

I got it pretty well patched up during the morning modelling session.
On the port side, the serial number wrinkled a bit and took some teasing out to get straight.

IMG_3797R.jpg

That finished the morning session. Back to the lake for a swim 8)

During the evening session, I used a pin to puncture a few bulges in the wing roundels and then slapped on a load of Pledge to try and get the decals to go down better. I haven't got any other decal solutions here, and we didn't have any vinegar in the kitchen either, which would have done as a substitute.

I touched up the "B" on the starboard side with a bit of white paint. While I had the paints out I also painted the navigation lights, silver, followed by transparent red and green. The prop was removed to paint the tips yellow. It'll need another coat, at least. Then I added the rockets and rails. The tailfins still have to be added to the rockets.

IMG_3801R.jpg

Plodding along... :)

cheers

Andrew

A hint andrew, for thick decals...coat them with normal vinnigar, that will soften them and make them a little easier to handle!

A hint andrew, for thick decals...coat them with normal vinnigar, that will soften them and make them a little easier to handle!

I didn't have any Chris, and I wasn't sure about splattering tomato ketchup on the wings, which would have been the alternative...:shock::D

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks for the kind comments chaps. The decals were a bit of a struggle. :)

I've realised that I have no matt varnish up here, so I'll have to do finishing touches when I get home on Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back